The Melrose Years.

Misterdance
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

The Melrose Years.

Post by Misterdance »

I myself discovered Tangerine dream by receiving a letter from a friend from the Hague. He talked about TD from which I till then never heard of.

I was 16 years of age in my teenage years and bought "Optical Race" in 1988. The sound blew me away! In the local library I found some records which I copied on tape. Lily on the beach and melrose were the next cd's I bought.

Nowadays I have a large TD collection. But these 3 albums which are called the melrose years i know are magic to me.

What is your favourite period of TD? I myself love 1988, 1989, 1990 till 1995.

MD.
8)
Fred-E Skywalker fka Misterdance.

Visit my website: http://www.fredvdwerf.nl
Hobo

Re: The Melrose Years.

Post by Hobo »

Misterdance wrote:I myself discovered Tangerine dream by receiving a letter from a friend from the Hague. He talked about TD from which I till then never heard of.

I was 16 years of age in my teenage years and bought "Optical Race" in 1988. The sound blew me away! In the local library I found some records which I copied on tape. Lily on the beach and melrose were the next cd's I bought.

Nowadays I have a large TD collection. But these 3 albums which are called the melrose years i know are magic to me.

What is your favourite period of TD? I myself love 1988, 1989, 1990 till 1995.

MD.
8)
I confess that I haven't got Optical Race, or Melrose and TD's 90's albums aren't among my favourites. That said, there are some great individual tracks. The Virgin Years were the peak for me, but the past couple of years have certainly got me excited about TD again. Edgar is back on top form! :D
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Misterdance

70ties versus 80ties versus 90ties and nowadays.

Post by Misterdance »

Every period has it's charming thing. The 70ties albums ( i especcialy like Encore ) have that rough analog thing. I myself started up producing music in the 80ties with analog equipment .. The modulair synths of the 70ties and there typical sounds enchanted me. I started with a JUNO-60 roland synth.

The 80ties were a period ( TD ) which I more appreciate. It is more my sound. I Like hyperborea, underwater sunlight, Logos also a lot. But most of all I get high of this end 80ties begin 90ties sounds. I of course bought the works after 1995, but it was remarkable to me that there came more and more albums ( also compilations of course ) .. I am very influenced by TD but my all time favourites will stay Optical Race, Lilly on the beach and Melrose. Of course this is an emotional psychological phenomena.

Nowadays I produce dancemusic in Holland which can be related to pop music. But in my freetime I listen a lot of streams with electronic music like TD and stuff. As a Trance deejay and arranger to me it has always been an influence since I was 8 years young ( 1980 ). It started out with Jean michel jarre and so on.. Well known stories of people who's interest is in Electronic music ..

:lol:

sparrow

Post by sparrow »

The Melrose years are a favourite of mine too. I love all the albums from that period..even Destination Berlin. Optical Race, Lily & Melrose are a trilogy of albums I love to bits and I never tire of hearing them. It's a pity this period is so short but TD went on to produce more & more great albums like Turn of the Tides, Tyranny of Beauty & 220 volt live. I even have a liking for the much reviled album Rockoon.
Misterdance

Post by Misterdance »

I agree. The named albums like rockoon and others produced between 1990 en 1995 are definitly my cup of tea.

MD.
:D

SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

Yeah I really love the Melrose Years too. Optical Race, Melrose and Lily on the Beach are all cd's I listen to all the time. I think my favourite of the three is probably Melrose. Great record that. 8)
"Sydney till I Die"
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

SydneyFC wrote:Yeah I really love the Melrose Years too. Optical Race, Melrose and Lily on the Beach are all cd's I listen to all the time. I think my favourite of the three is probably Melrose. Great record that. 8)
I agree SFC,Melrose is a great album i my favorite of that period 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Phrozenlight

Post by Phrozenlight »

my favorite periode: from Zeit to Force Majeur.

the Melrose Years were almost the end of my TD addiction.

But with Rockoon they started to get my interest again.
even The Melrose Albums are found nowadays in my cd-player. :wink:

but The Dante Trilogy and Madcap's Flaming Duty are not my kind of albums, somehow I do not get into them.
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

I'm with you misterdance.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

The late '70s to late '80s have been TD's peak for me so far - Virgin and Blue years I suppose. That said, I have a very soft spot for the Melrose Years - I include Miracle Mile in there too. Optical Race and Melrose in particular, Lily never being quite so listened to.
Alas, Rockoon was their low point for me... each to their own I suppose, and I'm glad to see there are people out there who like that era :D :D
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

After minutes of research : we, you, us, and humans are preprogrammed to enjoy and respond to melody 'a tune....' and beats...which is why many fans prefer TD 80's and 90's output to the Pink and Virgin years.... [possibly, maybe]

My favourite TD music era is that tiny window between the first seconds of Birth of Liquid Plee-uh-dees and the closing seconds of Zeit itself........[possibly, maybe]

My second favourite TD music era, is that epic epoch 1967-2008, with a tiny deviation in the continuum circa [....]

but, the melrose years......mighty fine overall-if dated
...The wise.....are silent.....
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

I think that most people have a particular fondness for the time period in which they "discovered" TD. For myself, it was the mid-1970s, so works like Rubycon, Ricochet, Stratosfear and the like are among my favorites. Others who learned about the band in later years (such as yourself) tend to enjoy the albums released at that time.

Personally, the Melrose Years are only so-so in my evaluation. That does not, however, diminish its impact on the band's output or evolution.

Utimately, it doesn't really matter. If the music of TD (from whatever time period) moves you, enjoy it, because I think we all agree that the band's sound is truly unique and probably will never be duplicated. Edgar is quite simply a musical genius.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

I've never really disliked any TD period. I have a certain fondness for the early 80's but that is probably matched by the Melrose Years and various other periods too.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I agree with you chris there's something in every year to appreciate & admire
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Misterdance

You are right.

Post by Misterdance »

Chris Monk wrote:I've never really disliked any TD period. I have a certain fondness for the early 80's but that is probably matched by the Melrose Years and various other periods too.
You are right. TD in general is great music. And every period has it's own quality. I discovered a nice stream on the winamp player on which is played a lot of TD from 70 ties till nowadays. The variaty of sounds of TD is nice. Each fan has it's own favourite period ..

TD .. YOU GO !!

MD.
:D