The Melrose Years.

Misterdance
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Misterdance »

rotwang wrote:I think that most people have a particular fondness for the time period in which they "discovered" TD. For myself, it was the mid-1970s, so works like Rubycon, Ricochet, Stratosfear and the like are among my favorites. Others who learned about the band in later years (such as yourself) tend to enjoy the albums released at that time.

Personally, the Melrose Years are only so-so in my evaluation. That does not, however, diminish its impact on the band's output or evolution.

Utimately, it doesn't really matter. If the music of TD (from whatever time period) moves you, enjoy it, because I think we all agree that the band's sound is truly unique and probably will never be duplicated. Edgar is quite simply a musical genius.
:wink:
Fred-E Skywalker fka Misterdance.

Visit my website: http://www.fredvdwerf.nl
ant

Post by ant »

:D Like Optical Race and Melrose but after Melrose the next 5 years were my least favourite TD years. In my mind they got back into the swing on the release of Mars Polaris and they have been getting better and better ever since. My All Time Favourite Years were the Schmoelling years between 1980 and 1985 and just wish he would return to the band even if it was just for one album and one small tour. But with Edgar firing on all cylinders at the moment I am happy with everything 'TD' that comes my way.
Biggus Dickus
timer

Post by timer »

This is the TD period that is my least favourite - or was at the time ! - After all the previous releases I was very dissapionted by the releases from Lily of the Beach to Mars Polaris, but luckily being as big a fan as I am I still bought all the releases, now and again I revist these CDs that I found to be out of phase with previous ones and get delight in now enjoying them for what they are, a progression in TD career. 8)
Misterdance

I understand.

Post by Misterdance »

timer wrote:This is the TD period that is my least favourite - or was at the time ! - After all the previous releases I was very dissapionted by the releases from Lily of the Beach to Mars Polaris, but luckily being as big a fan as I am I still bought all the releases, now and again I revist these CDs that I found to be out of phase with previous ones and get delight in now enjoying them for what they are, a progression in TD career. 8)
That is something I can understand. The more poppy sounds from optical race till the mid 90ties is my favourite. But compared to the older work ( which I think is less commercial ) it is a contrast. Some people love it the others "hate" it. But the best part of TD is that their is produced so much in different styles. When I take a look from 1970 till nowadays there are is always something which connects with one's taste. The older work from the 70ties has it's charme next to the 80ties also.

MD.
:roll: :)

David Ryle

Post by David Ryle »

Of all the Melrose period albums, "Mars Polaris" is my all around favorite.

Of course my preferences are for anything astronomy-related. That is part of the reason for my love of TD. When Alpha Centauri was heard I liked it, but not as much as Zeit.

TD has been connected to space music in some pretty strange ways over the interrim. Kind of like Jarre and Vangelis, but less so. They always reminded me of the cosmic aspect of space exploration. Sort of like Ligeti was used in the Kubrick film "2001: A Space Odyssey". Mysterious and dark with endless sonic imagery.

-David
Two glasses Australian Shiraz, roaring fireplace, my Linda in arms and Rubycon on the player = BLISS
Misterdance

Post by Misterdance »

David Ryle wrote:Of all the Melrose period albums, "Mars Polaris" is my all around favorite.

Of course my preferences are for anything astronomy-related. That is part of the reason for my love of TD. When Alpha Centauri was heard I liked it, but not as much as Zeit.

TD has been connected to space music in some pretty strange ways over the interrim. Kind of like Jarre and Vangelis, but less so. They always reminded me of the cosmic aspect of space exploration. Sort of like Ligeti was used in the Kubrick film "2001: A Space Odyssey". Mysterious and dark with endless sonic imagery.

-David
I agree. In my childhood I discovered science fiction. It has always been connected with synth music like TD in my vieuw. It reflects indeed a cosmic aspect to me.

24db

Post by 24db »

Misterdance wrote:
David Ryle wrote:Of all the Melrose period albums, "Mars Polaris" is my all around favorite.

-David
I agree. In my childhood I discovered science fiction. It has always been connected with synth music like TD in my vieuw. It reflects indeed a cosmic aspect to me.

the early TD was very influenced by Science Fiction. If I get some time I'll list what books Edgar likes
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

-David
Whoops!

Mars Polaris is not of the Melrose Years period.

Those in the period only include Optical Race, Lily, Miracle Mile and Melrose - and named so due to the Private Music label being located on Melrose Ave in California.

And for what it's worth, O.R. and M.M. are definitely in my top 20 TD albums.
Misterdance

Underwater sunlight.

Post by Misterdance »

If I look at it in a global way I discover that my most favourite period started with underwater sunlight and ended up with late 90ties albums like Mars polaris. With some higlights in Optical race, Lilly on the beach and melrose.

As I said before, a lot of the older work is not quit my cup of tea. But it gets of course my respect. I respect all music which has been produced by TD .. Edgar in my point of vieuw was, is and wil be the spirit behind this very cool music surrounded by very gifted musicians ..

MD.
:D

Misterdance

Post by Misterdance »

ant wrote::D Like Optical Race and Melrose but after Melrose the next 5 years were my least favourite TD years. In my mind they got back into the swing on the release of Mars Polaris and they have been getting better and better ever since. My All Time Favourite Years were the Schmoelling years between 1980 and 1985 and just wish he would return to the band even if it was just for one album and one small tour. But with Edgar firing on all cylinders at the moment I am happy with everything 'TD' that comes my way.
Your least period is my favourite. That is funny in a certain way. I am well known familiair with the works in which J Schmoelling participated. I believe POLAND is such a project / album. Great music .. Some albums of the 70ties ( which most of them I own on vinyl ) really kick ass in an ambient psychedelic way with some incense next to it .. :P

From 1970 'till nowadays there is quit some evolution in progress. Certain synth sounds I especcialy like .. The well known "harpi chord / guitar played " synths are SO TD.

MD.
:D :D