Phaedra 2005

har
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Phaedra 2005

Post by har »

was looking for a thread on Phaedra 2005, but appears there isnt one....

So;

I've had this on download from here for about a month now and listened to it frequently. I think it is absolutely bloody marvellous. Phaedra original is probably my favourite Dream album so that is some going!

True to the original, but, sufficiently different to stand in its own right. As is Aqua2005. Brilliant stuff. Hope there's going to be more remixes of this quality fitted into the busy TD schedule.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

I find it superfluous at best.
http://td.pertou.dk/eng-0009.htm
Chris Monk

Re: Phaedra 2005

Post by Chris Monk »

har wrote:was looking for a thread on Phaedra 2005, but appears there isnt one....

So;

I've had this on download from here for about a month now and listened to it frequently. I think it is absolutely bloody marvellous. Phaedra original is probably my favourite Dream album so that is some going!

True to the original, but, sufficiently different to stand in its own right. As is Aqua2005. Brilliant stuff. Hope there's going to be more remixes of this quality fitted into the busy TD schedule.
I'm in total agreement with you on this one. I really like Phaedra 2005. It's sufficiently different from the original to make it interesting but not so close that it's near nearly as good. I seem to remember getting a bit of stick for announcing that I liked it on the old forum, some people even doubted my sanity, but you like what you like and I make no apologies for that.
har

Post by har »

Chris Monk wrote: I'm in total agreement with you on this one. I really like Phaedra 2005. It's sufficiently different from the original to make it interesting but not so close that it's near nearly as good. I seem to remember getting a bit of stick for announcing that I liked it on the old forum, some people even doubted my sanity, but you like what you like and I make no apologies for that.
Cheers for that Chris. Glad someone else likes it. As I have said the original is the definitive Tangerine Dream album for me. So for me to like the remix as much as I do is quite something. I hope they find time to complete some other new work on maybe Rubycon or Ricochet or Cyclone .

Giving folk stick for a personal preference in relation to Tangerine Dream music :roll: . I suspect you are completely sane btw. No so sure about myself :lol:

PS was not quite sure about the bonus track Delfi, still deciding about it, I suspect it will be positive though :wink:
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

In my humble opinion, "Delfi" is the best track on this album.
I listened to the whole "Phaedra 2005" quite frequently in the last weeks. Although it's far from being my favourite album, there are some fine moments on it. The new "Mysterious Semblance ..." and "Sequent C'" are fantastic and "Movements ..." with its new train-like rhythm loop is so different from the original you could almost call it completely new. Great! :)
I'm still not sure about the new version of "Phaedra" though. At first it was my favourite on this album, but after many listens I prefer the "TD Plays TD" version much more. Somehow the diversity of the original "Phaedra" is missing on this 11 minutes version, it storms ahead with sequencers and drum loops but leaves out the dreamy parts.
But it doesn't matter really. There is something about this album which makes me come back to it time and again. So it can't be a failure. :wink:
redziller

Post by redziller »

Delphi gets a thumbs up here - top track. Not overboard on the title track but I think that's primarily from having heard that take on it many times now.

Time for another spin - if you can "spin" an mp3
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
nightmare strand

Post by nightmare strand »

Have to admit, I was knocked out by it initially and still revisit it frequently.
For me it was different enough to be able to draw a definitive line between the two versions. I completely understand those who find the whole concept somewhat distasteful though. No doubt for some it's comparable to the Beatles finding flaws with Sargeant Pepper or Pink Floyd similarly with Dark Side of the Moon. For me the original encapsulates all the beauty of those early analogue years, something which the latter version respectfully acknowledges only in part. It feels distinctly modern (digital if you like) in a similar veign to the rerecordings of Tangram parts which have appeared in many compilations. Perhaps if Edgar had chosen to issue the rerecorded Phaedra tracks as part of compilations or even spread them over several editions of the new cupdisc format, they may possibly have been looked at in a different light, I don't know. I have often wondered if Tangram had been rerecorded in whole but not released as such, as more or less all of its parts have appeared as parts of compilations.
tdfan

Post by tdfan »

I also give Phaedra 2005 a thumb up. It should not be regarded as a replacement for the original Phaedra but as another way to describe it.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Chris Monk wrote:I'm in total agreement with you on this one. I really like Phaedra 2005. It's sufficiently different from the original to make it interesting but not so close that it's near nearly as good. I seem to remember getting a bit of stick for announcing that I liked it on the old forum, some people even doubted my sanity, but you like what you like and I make no apologies for that.
har wrote:Cheers for that Chris. Glad someone else likes it. As I have said the original is the definitive Tangerine Dream album for me. So for me to like the remix as much as I do is quite something. I hope they find time to complete some other new work on maybe Rubycon or Ricochet or Cyclone.
Yeh I wouldn't mind that, not sure about the rest of the TD fanbase though, Phaedra 2005 was not met with great enthusiasm (to put it mildly).
har wrote:Giving folk stick for a personal preference in relation to Tangerine Dream music :roll: . I suspect you are completely sane btw. No so sure about myself :lol: .
Got to be honest but at the time I thought it was all rather funny, I tend not to take that sort of thing too seriously.....

...although obviously I cried myself to sleep for several weeks afterwards. :wink:

As for my sanity ...I think my previous sentence probably gives an indication..... not good. :roll:
har wrote:PS was not quite sure about the bonus track Delfi, still deciding about it, I suspect it will be positive though :wink:
I quite like Delfi it sits quite well on the album and doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. I could believe that it was written around the time of Phaedra but obviously it's been given a new coat of paint for this release.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

To be quite honest I have not listened to this one yet. I managed to get Space Flight Orange from ebay and I have to say I really enjoy that, so I am guessing if I enjoyed that I am going to like Phaedra 2005. I`ll get round to it eventually 8)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I think a good job was done with this CD,not only did we get the excellent bonus track but a very interesting re-working of this classic album.
I live in hope that EF may consider a Rubycon 2008/9/ or 10 :idea: :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Have you lot gone mad or summat? IT'S AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - well at least the title track is...

Sorry for the above abuse, but Phaedra '74 was my first true musical epiphany and I treasure the memories of my first listen just after it came out.

After reading some very negative reviews of this CD I bought a copy a couple of years ago out of curiosity.

I appreciate this is a remix of an old re-working from 1988 I understand, but it has none of the feeling of the original, the sequence isn't quite right (compared with CF's eventual tunings) and the whole "lay it on with a trowel" approach just doesn't stay true to the vibe of the original. The remix on TD plays TD is a bit more subtle but still.....

I don't mind the additional bits on 'Movements Of A Visionary' but Sequent c has been annihilated, Delphi just whittles by and 'Mysterious Semblance' isn't so different from the original as I remember, the one track Edgar did on his own with Monique's help late one night I understand....

Sorry all, I rate Edgar as one of the greatest "EM" musicians of his era, such are his "visionary" talents for blending hours of work together to make a truly cohesive whole and for some lovely solo work over the years, but this? - NO CHANCE!
Last edited by DSJR on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

DSJR wrote:Have you lot gone mad or summat? IT'S AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - well at least the title track is...

Sorry for the above abuse, but Phaedra '74 was my first true musical epiphany and I treasure the memories of my first listen just after it came out.

After reading some very negative reviews of this CD I bought a copy a couple of years ago out of curiosity.

I appreciate this is a remix of an old re-working from 1988 I understand, but it has none of the feeling of the original, the sequence isn't quite right (compared with CF's eventual tunings) and the whole "lay it on with a trowel" approach just doesn't stay true to the vibe of the original. The remix on TD plays TD is a bit more subtle but still.....

I don't mind the additional bits on 'Movenets Of A Visionary' but Sequent c has been annihilated, Delphi just whittles by and 'Mysterious Semblance' isn't so different from the original as I remember, the one track Edgar did on his own with Monique's help late one night I understand....

Sorry all, I rate Edgar as one of the greatest "EM" musicians of his era, such are his talents for blending hours of work together to make a truly cohesive whole and for some lovely solo work over the years, but this? - NO CHANCE!
Its certainly no Phaedra 74 Dave and never will be in that league,but its interesting enough for me to give time up to listen to it and i think its a decent enough modern re-working ....... i also respect your opinion 100%.. :wink: you know your stuff 8)
Last edited by epsilon75 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

IMHO i think that delfi is a decent enough track but i would have preferred it on antique dreams type album.

How can you remake perfection ?
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
24db

Post by 24db »

Makes that old Voyager magazine cover look very ironic ;)