Mars Polaris reviewed

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Mars Polaris reviewed

Post by 24db »

thanks once again to Andy G:

TANGERINE DREAM: Mars Polaris
Before the review, a couple of points. I had the odd complaint for the review of "Sohoman" about not stating the fact that extra bits had been tacked on and that it wasn't strictly as it had been performed. Well, it didn't affect my enjoyment of it, hence the review. Conversely, a lot of people have agreed that, if you take "What A Blast" as a synth album in its own right and just forget it's by TD, you'll hear one superb album. A lot of people buy TD albums wanting to hear the sounds of the '70's - sorry, but if you want that, then you'll have to look to RMI, Air Sculpture, Redshift, early Bionaut and the like.All of which leads on to this brand new studio album and it's evident from the opening track that, as I said for "What A Blast", we have a band playing with renewed confidence, and playing music that is rooted in 25+ years of TD history. In this one track you'll hear those fantastic melody lines, underlying string synths, bas synth welling up from below, a stinging electric guitar lead, a tune, digital drum sounds and a huge arrangement that flows effortlessly with a great sense of dynamics, and you simply cannot deny that this is a really superb 10 minute opening track for a synth album. After this, track two simmers a little, is still rhythmic, but again introduces loads of layers into the composition with soaring leads, synth choirs, that sort of twangy synth effect they use to such great effect, a train-like rhythm from the electronic percussion and another full sound full of melodic content that has lots of dynamics along the way and ends with a gorgeous heavenly choral effect. I don't want to go into copious detail on every track or we'll be here for days, but there isn't a bad track on the album. To be fair, it's not exactly their most creative album if you want a new direction, but if you want a really good, solid, dependable, enjoyable synth music album that has a production and a set of soundscapes that puts others to shame, not to mention more melodies than you can shake a stick at, this is the album for you. It's easy, it's accessible, it's not disposable and it is the sort of album you'll play repeatedly, leagues ahead of many competitors in today's field - but it's NOT '70's retro so stop expecting that and listen to it for the music and not the band - maybe then you'll realise just how good compared to their many European descendants, this band still is.
rattymouse

Re: Mars Polaris reviewed

Post by rattymouse »

24db wrote:thanks once again to Andy G:

TANGERINE DREAM: Mars Polaris
Before the review, a couple of points. I had the odd complaint for the review of "Sohoman" about not stating the fact that extra bits had been tacked on and that it wasn't strictly as it had been performed. Well, it didn't affect my enjoyment of it, hence the review. Conversely, a lot of people have agreed that, if you take "What A Blast" as a synth album in its own right and just forget it's by TD, you'll hear one superb album. A lot of people buy TD albums wanting to hear the sounds of the '70's - sorry, but if you want that, then you'll have to look to RMI, Air Sculpture, Redshift, early Bionaut and the like.All of which leads on to this brand new studio album and it's evident from the opening track that, as I said for "What A Blast", we have a band playing with renewed confidence, and playing music that is rooted in 25+ years of TD history. In this one track you'll hear those fantastic melody lines, underlying string synths, bas synth welling up from below, a stinging electric guitar lead, a tune, digital drum sounds and a huge arrangement that flows effortlessly with a great sense of dynamics, and you simply cannot deny that this is a really superb 10 minute opening track for a synth album. After this, track two simmers a little, is still rhythmic, but again introduces loads of layers into the composition with soaring leads, synth choirs, that sort of twangy synth effect they use to such great effect, a train-like rhythm from the electronic percussion and another full sound full of melodic content that has lots of dynamics along the way and ends with a gorgeous heavenly choral effect. I don't want to go into copious detail on every track or we'll be here for days, but there isn't a bad track on the album. To be fair, it's not exactly their most creative album if you want a new direction, but if you want a really good, solid, dependable, enjoyable synth music album that has a production and a set of soundscapes that puts others to shame, not to mention more melodies than you can shake a stick at, this is the album for you. It's easy, it's accessible, it's not disposable and it is the sort of album you'll play repeatedly, leagues ahead of many competitors in today's field - but it's NOT '70's retro so stop expecting that and listen to it for the music and not the band - maybe then you'll realise just how good compared to their many European descendants, this band still is.
another great review.

who is Andy G?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Melrose was a great start to the 90s and Mars Polaris was a great finish,those two along with "Goblin's Club" are without doubt my three favorites from that decade.....
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:Melrose was a great start to the 90s and Mars Polaris was a great finish,those two along with "Goblin's Club" are without doubt my three favorites from that decade.....
it's uneven for me, the higlights IMHO are all the tracks composed by Jerome, all the rest have Edgar's weedy drums all over them and I'll be happy if I never hear them again.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:Melrose was a great start to the 90s and Mars Polaris was a great finish,those two along with "Goblin's Club" are without doubt my three favorites from that decade.....
it's uneven for me, the higlights IMHO are all the tracks composed by Jerome, all the rest have Edgar's weedy drums all over them and I'll be happy if I never hear them again.
Everyone to their own mate,nothing wrong in that :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

To me Melrose was the final piece of quality of a dark, dark time. Mars Polaris was the light that finally emerged out of the total blackness of the '90s.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:
Everyone to their own mate,nothing wrong in that :wink:
I still think it's a good album though, a real highlight from that period...seems like ages ago now though
Hyperboreauk

Post by Hyperboreauk »

Cannot disagree although I would add Oasis.
24db

Post by 24db »

Hyperboreauk wrote:
Cannot disagree although I would add Oasis.
TANGERINE DREAM: Oasis
Like its title, a place of comfort. This is where you travel to experience the warmth that is a perfectly sound and satisfactory Tangerine Dream album. Designed simply to provide maximum enjoyment, there are tracks where it couldn’t be anyone else, tracks that are more flowing and spacious and, finally, tracks that exude warmth and sanctuary from every pore. Largely slowly rhythmic, although a nod to a more contemporary rhythm structure in many places, it retains a sense of drive and purpose throughout, even the lush bits sounding strong and vibrant.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I remember when I got into TD in the 90s Oasis was probably my most played CD of the 90s albums. Obviously when I first got into TD I was listening to the 70s and 80s stuff by the time I was up to date I started to get bored with the 90s stuff apaert from maybe 2 or 3 albums. Oasis was probably a shining light along with Ambient Monkeys.