Changing the old music

rattymouse
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by rattymouse »

timer wrote:
billythefish wrote:
timer wrote:
This is a really awfull situation ,when a creator of these magnificant works of art cannot do exactly as he pleases with them.

Personally I welcome anything Edgar is willing to share with us be it old recordings reworked, or new material , it will still hold a magical feeling on each listen. - for me anyway :)

I thought copyright only lasted a certain amount of time?
So did I, but I think ownership / possession is another matter...
You would have thought ownership/ possession would belong to the composser who put the effort in to create it, not some suited money grabber who probably couldnt care less about the music he has such a hold over ! :evil:
Edgar isnt the first musician who signed away the rights to his music in exchange for money. 99.9% of every recording artist does so.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

But are these rights signed away "for ever?"

Wendy Carlos got her masters back from CBS after thirty years or thereabouts and blogged on her site about a huge box of tapes ariving on her doorstep...
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

DSJR wrote:But are these rights signed away "for ever?"

Wendy Carlos got her masters back from CBS after thirty years or thereabouts and blogged on her site about a huge box of tapes ariving on her doorstep...
Copyright is supposed to be for 50 years and then everything goes into the public domain. Some musicians can buy or negotiate the rights back to themselves. It appears Edgar has failed going down that route.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Regarding Jarres 'new' version of Oxygene ..I find it unbelievable that it actually is re recorded. His old label Dreyfus is in the process of legal action against Jarre for the blatant copy put out as being re recorded. I don't know if theres any truth in the latter statement but I did read it somewhere.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

@Sparrow - it really doesn't sound re-recorded to me, but as discussed elsewhere, listeners believe it is. I do not know. Do I trust my ears?
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

wayfarer wrote:@Sparrow - it really doesn't sound re-recorded to me, but as discussed elsewhere, listeners believe it is. I do not know. Do I trust my ears?
It only sounds a tad better. I'm sure it would be impossible to completeley replicate a 30 year old album even on all the original gear.
Scorpion_Saga

Post by Scorpion_Saga »

One huge issue about rights is that many artists sell all the rights early on in their careers, only to have it come back and bite them years later. We are seeing this happen with more and more frequency as nothing is sacred as far as advertising or branding is concerned. Then there are those who cater almost exclusively to media (Moby) for example.
rattymouse wrote:
timer wrote:
billythefish wrote: So did I, but I think ownership / possession is another matter...
You would have thought ownership/ possession would belong to the composser who put the effort in to create it, not some suited money grabber who probably couldnt care less about the music he has such a hold over ! :evil:
Edgar isnt the first musician who signed away the rights to his music in exchange for money. 99.9% of every recording artist does so.
It's cold out here...
Red Morpho

Post by Red Morpho »

sparrow wrote:
wayfarer wrote:@Sparrow - it really doesn't sound re-recorded to me, but as discussed elsewhere, listeners believe it is. I do not know. Do I trust my ears?
It only sounds a tad better. I'm sure it would be impossible to completeley replicate a 30 year old album even on all the original gear.
My first post for some time, due to lack of internet access and few other million reasons, its good to be back and a privelage to take part in the forum again.

The new Oxygene recording definately sounds much better and warmer to my ears, but musically doesn't add or take away any value to this magnificant classic. I dont have a problem with this, I enjoy both recordings equally

I'm comparing the original with the version that came free with a well known Sunday paper the other month in the UK (that well known that I can't for the life of me remember the name of it). Technically the paper was free and Oxygene cost £1.50ish - I binned the paper without reading it.

I assume the free recording was the exact same quality as the official re-recording but the fear that it will self destruct after 10 plays led to a very strange compulsion in that I can't pass a charity shop or car boot sale without spending several hours browsing among piles of 'exclusive CD free with your national daily toilet paper' looking for more copies - I now have have 6 plus 3 copies of Tubular Bells and 3 copies of the recent excellent Genesis compilation...for some reason I completely passed on the UB40 stuff......

A part of me insists on not paying more than 20p a copy (cos it 's supposed to be free...innit!).

Now seriously hoping that Edgar will go down the same route and slip in an entire TD back (or front) catalogue of exclusive classics, how's about the odd Keep or the original Epsilion etc...

....I can dream can't I?
You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink...but if you get it to float's on it's back then you've got something...
prophetfive

Post by prophetfive »

:D :D Don't get bogged down with the technical side of things. Learn to stand away from the original music and appreciate what the artist has achieved , musically, at a new and evolved emotional level. 8) 8) :arrow:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

prophetfive wrote::D :D Don't get bogged down with the technical side of things. Learn to stand away from the original music and appreciate what the artist has achieved , musically, at a new and evolved emotional level. 8) 8) :arrow:
Spot on Ron 8) :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
prophetfive

Post by prophetfive »

:D :D It's taken a while, but, TD are back at their VERY BEST. IMHO 8) 8) :arrow:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

prophetfive wrote::D :D It's taken a while, but, TD are back at their VERY BEST. IMHO 8) 8) :arrow:
Absolutely spot on mate again 8) :P :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
prophetfive

Post by prophetfive »

epsilon75 wrote:
prophetfive wrote::D :D Don't get bogged down with the technical side of things. Learn to stand away from the original music and appreciate what the artist has achieved , musically, at a new and evolved emotional level. 8) 8) :arrow:
Spot on Ron 8) :D
Probably the main reason why(unfortunately) Johannes Schmoelling will NEVER rejoin Tangerine Dream. His music has evolved in a completely different direction to TD. Yes, it's 'electronic" music, but musically, Johannes has his own agenda. That's not to say another one off collaboration is not beyond possibility. Note however that "KYOTO" was 'old music revamped', not a 'let's get into the studio in 2006 and start a new TD project.' :( :arrow: MAY I BE FOREVER PROVED WRONG :!: :wink: :arrow:
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

wayfarer wrote:
DaveAS wrote: The original was produced using a less than ideal setup (wasn't it recorded in Jarre's kitchen?) and the aim with the new version was to improve the quality of the recording *without* changing the underlying sounds/music at all. Given the "organic" nature of the album, it's incredible that Jarre managed to reproduce it with such accuracy.

Imagine if TD used the same approach on albums where the recording quality was a bit iffy. Exit and Flashpoint immediately spring to mind as possible candidates.

Dave
It really is incredible that Jarre was able to record the album exactly how it sounded. Both Exit and Flashpoint could do with a re-record in such a way. I'm not a fan of the bananarama versions of Flashpoint tracks, though, and I'm open minded about the tinkering otherwise.
Encore too, as long as we're daydreaming. And maybe The Park Is Mine.
krismopompas

Re: Changing the old music

Post by krismopompas »

Michael66 wrote:CF took the multitrack masters of the TD records he participated in with him when he left the band. Edgar said that in a recent interview, and that he has tried to get the tapes back in a court battle between him and CF. Whether he got the tapes back in the end, he didn't say.
remember me at a kindergarden :roll: .........old people are like little children.
time is the fire in which we burn (zoran)