What will TD be remembered for?

Michael66
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Michael66 »

bigmoog wrote:Imagine a society in 500 years....or more...would they be able to retrieve the data? I doubt it, most people have trouble extracting data from a ten year old PC....

A vinyl record will outlast a CD, hardrive etc.....as its part of a mechanical system, its not a phantom technology, its real...
I had a look yesterday how long DVD+/-Rs are supposed to last. There are some (few) brands that sell "archival grade" discs, and the companies that produce them claim they'll still be readable in 70-100 years when stored properly. Ok fine, that doesn't sound too bad, but in 100 years, who will still have equipment that can read those media, apart from some specialized tech museums? For example, nowadays, if I wanted to read a 5 1/4'' floppy disc from just 25 years ago, that'd mean a lot of trouble.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Yes, exactly.

It not necessarily the medium, its the plays fantastically. Look at CD rom assemblies for CD players, most are obsolete or out of production due to the relentless march of technology and laser diodes - all being re engineered for.....DVD plays fantastically, HD-DVD, blu ray, all products are based on consumer time horizons - you know-release to market as the next best thing, everyone buys the new discs, then a format war, then obsolete in two years because here's future......It's the same in computing...near everything is geared to the next best thing...its white goods for the mass market....although Vista has proven to be an 'upgrade' too far imho.

We, as a culture put far too much reliance on digital technology, after all what does one do when the power is cut?

With a mechanical system (like a record player), technically, one could use clockwork......no need for electricity

The only way to properly archive sound, vision, art, the written word etc, is the will to do so, not through technology for its own sake, but with careful consideration for the future. I want future generations to be able to view history as I can

there are sound archives around the world that are using record players to catalogue music to digital storage.....

er, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
...The wise.....are silent.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Michael66 wrote:
bigmoog wrote:Imagine a society in 500 years....or more...would they be able to retrieve the data? I doubt it, most people have trouble extracting data from a ten year old PC....

A vinyl record will outlast a CD, hardrive etc.....as its part of a mechanical system, its not a phantom technology, its real...
I had a look yesterday how long DVD+/-Rs are supposed to last. There are some (few) brands that sell "archival grade" discs, and the companies that produce them claim they'll still be readable in 70-100 years when stored properly. Ok fine, that doesn't sound too bad, but in 100 years, who will still have equipment that can read those media, apart from some specialized tech museums? For example, nowadays, if I wanted to read a 5 1/4'' floppy disc from just 25 years ago, that'd mean a lot of trouble.
We used to use 5 1/4" floppies all the time and they wouldn't read 25 years ago let alone now. :wink:
timer

Post by timer »

The Sheer volume of quality Music . 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:The Sheer volume of quality Music . 8)
and sometimes just the shear volume....ouch!
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:
Seriously , (and I know that's difficult to take coming from me ! :roll: :wink: ) are there any other pro musicians out there who have released the same volume of music as EF / TD over the years ?
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

timer wrote:
24db wrote:
Seriously , (and I know that's difficult to take coming from me ! :roll: :wink: ) are there any other pro musicians out there who have released the same volume of music as EF / TD over the years ?

dont think so but if Namlook goes on into his 60s he could do it as he already has a vast Catalogue but a lot of it is work with other artists so maybe that doesn`t count.
timer

Post by timer »

cantosis wrote:
timer wrote:
24db wrote: and sometimes just the shear volume....ouch!

dont think so but if Namlook goes on into his 60s he could do it as he already has a vast Catalogue but a lot of it is work with other artists so maybe that doesn`t count.

Yeah it would count as im refering to all work with Edgars contribution. 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:
24db wrote:
lol...actually I was referring to how loud it was :)

and the answer is yes...Conrad Schnitzler and Pete Namlook have released more
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

24db wrote:
timer wrote:

Yep, Namlook makes EF look like an absolute slacker!
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

24db wrote:
timer wrote:

how many releases does namlook have, roughly?
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

cantosis wrote:
24db wrote:
timer wrote: Seriously , (and I know that's difficult to take coming from me ! :roll: :wink: ) are there any other pro musicians out there who have released the same volume of music as EF / TD over the years ?

how many releases does namlook have, roughly?
I see numbers from the 180's up to the low 200's. I'd hate to try to compile his list of albums!
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Some Jazz artists have a lot of albums out..Miles davis has a massive catalogue and theres always something being dug out to put on the shelves.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

sparrow wrote:Some Jazz artists have a lot of albums out..Miles davis has a massive catalogue and theres always something being dug out to put on the shelves.
I have virtually everything he recorded from Birth of the Cool forward. A massive collection for sure.
24db

Post by 24db »

What will TD be remembered for? shelves...no other group have done more for the shelf industry in recent years. Without them dozens of forestry workers and DIY store employees would be out of work. ;)

Sorry for the irony, but you've got to laugh when you see how much space it takes up. Cracking music though :)