Sound-Presets

intercorni
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Sound-Presets

Post by intercorni »

TD use also preset sounds/samples. Why not?
I found an artist who uses the same preset:
http://www.myspace.com/compulsoryskin
Play in the music player the song "nochnoi dozor trailer" !
24db

Re: Sound-Presets

Post by 24db »

intercorni wrote:TD use also preset sounds/samples. Why not?
I found an artist who uses the same preset:
http://www.myspace.com/compulsoryskin
Play in the music player the song "nochnoi dozor trailer" !
TD have used presets since the first synth was able to (1976?)
intercorni

Post by intercorni »

I think since the ARP Pro Soloist 1972.
24db

Post by 24db »

intercorni wrote:I think since the ARP Pro Soloist 1972.
Edgar says 1976 ;)
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

I recall a review of the Legend Soundtrack (24db, you probably know of the one I'm talking about) wherein the reviewer totally panned the recording due to its supposed use of preset sounds. Of course, he didn't really back up his claims, so I didn't know what to make of it. I don't think of I've heard many of those sounds used by anyone else, though.
24db

Post by 24db »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:I recall a review of the Legend Soundtrack (24db, you probably know of the one I'm talking about) wherein the reviewer totally panned the recording due to its supposed use of preset sounds. Of course, he didn't really back up his claims, so I didn't know what to make of it. I don't think of I've heard many of those sounds used by anyone else, though.
that was Fref I think in Keyboard magazine (the Leg-end soundtrack). The presets he was moaning about were probably Kurzweil and/or Emulator samples.
Personally I find the argument rather daft ('Oh it's so easy to use presets'...sadly the talent to compose with them isn't available on the same CD-ROM), I've never seen a criticism of a Mellotron Flute being used all the time on TD's or others music. Smacks of double standards to me. As Klaus Schulze said 'I use presets if they're good'...actually he might have said 'if they're beautiful ;)

I think that a few fans think that TD came up with ALL of their own sounds, that's not the truth IMHO. They had people just coming up with sounds or samples for them (I should add that Edgar, Chris, Johannes et al did lots of their own sounds, BUT professional musicians simply don't have the time to do all their own sounds 100% of the time)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

As a complete EM novice I've never been able to understand the objections some people put up about using presets. It doesn't bother me either way. Surely it's how the sound is used and the composition that's important?
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:As a complete EM novice I've never been able to understand the objections some people put up about using presets. It doesn't bother me either way. Surely it's how the sound is used and the composition that's important?
Spot on!

it bothers amateur musicians more, as they can quote the CD-ROM it comes off, and probably the catalogue numbers.

the full quote from KS:

Q:Are you a keen programmer, do you like to dig in to get some unusual sounds, or do you use a lot of preset sounds?

KS: I am not a heavy programmer, but I never like to use presets unless they’re really beautiful, then I’m not too proud to use them.
intercorni

Post by intercorni »

24db wrote:
Edgar says 1976 ;)
or 1974 - Mellotron ;-) (Phaedra)

In Vintage Synth Forum runs interesting posting:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=40894
Last edited by intercorni on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

intercorni wrote:
24db wrote:
Edgar says 1976 ;)
or 1974 - Mellotron ;-)
they had one earlier than this didn't they?
intercorni

Post by intercorni »

Well, but that it did not!
jacob

Post by jacob »

I assume the first recording with Mellotron was the Ultima Thule 7"?
24db

Post by 24db »

Approx lists only:

1972:
MiniMoog monophonic synthesiser, ARP Odyssey, Moog Modular 4 Unit (care of Florian Fricke), Mellotron, Various organs, Zither, Glissando Guitar, Vibraphone, cymbals, EMS VCS3 synthesiser, Noise generators

1973 (studio & live):
Edgar Froese, Double Mellotron (Mark V), Bass Guitar, EMS VCS3 synthesizer, Farfisa Organ

Chris Franke, Moog modular, Various keyboards, EMS VCS3 synthesizer, Elka Rhapsody 610 string synthesiser, Various Acoustic Percussion (congas etc), PRX-II (EKO) Rhythm Controller

Peter Baumann, Farfisa Professional Duo Organ, Farfisa Professional Electric piano, EMS VCS3 & Synthi E synthesizer, flute, Farfisa Professional 222 Organ (single Manual)
intercorni

Post by intercorni »

24db wrote:Approx lists only:

1972:
MiniMoog monophonic synthesiser, ARP Odyssey, Moog Modular 4 Unit (care of Florian Fricke), Mellotron, Various organs, Zither, Glissando Guitar, Vibraphone, cymbals, EMS VCS3 synthesiser, Noise generators

1973 (studio & live):
Edgar Froese, Double Mellotron (Mark V), Bass Guitar, EMS VCS3 synthesizer, Farfisa Organ

Chris Franke, Moog modular, Various keyboards, EMS VCS3 synthesizer, Elka Rhapsody 610 string synthesiser, Various Acoustic Percussion (congas etc), PRX-II (EKO) Rhythm Controller

Peter Baumann, Farfisa Professional Duo Organ, Farfisa Professional Electric piano, EMS VCS3 & Synthi E synthesizer, flute, Farfisa Professional 222 Organ (single Manual)
THX :-)
24db

Post by 24db »

intercorni wrote:
24db wrote:Approx lists only:

1972:

1973 (studio & live):

THX :-)
full lists on my blog