Stratosfear

alipaul
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Stratosfear

Post by alipaul »

24db wrote:Mick's going to love this one ;) I haven't corrected the journalist's slightly weird gramma (why should I they never correct mine ;)):

TANGERINE DREAM
Stratosfear
Virgin

THE important factors in electronic music are creativity and innovation. This the Tang’s umpteenth album has neither. Despite its sophisticated production and laborious construction it never emerges from the background.

Title track is repetitive. This can be used as a rhythmic background as solid base to build on but here is bland, Opens with Mellotron strings and runs through the range of standard sounds. Tempo heats up. You wait for the explosive climax, but it never comes.

Title The Big Sleep In Search Of Hades too appropriate. Features clichéd sci-fi sounds of space and emptiness complete with echoing heavenly choir and imitation in corporeal violin, Chris Franke then overlays flute, the effect, a bad Kung Fu movie without the violence—undramatic.

Second side better. Begins with best track 3 am At The Border Of The Marsh From Okefenokee. Played with more emotion than other tracks is good at communicating cold, damp feeling. Steaming bubbling noises back a distant depressing southern states harmonica. Final track Invisible Limits is an unhealthy musical mish-mash of elements of previous tracks. Over half a side long, this seems a waste of space.

Tangerine Dream have made stunning, daring albums in the past, This time they didn’t risk going too near the edge. Better pretentious than mundane.

Stephen Lavers. Popstar Weekly, April 21, 1979
Seems like yet another failed musician what a TOSSER
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
24db

Post by 24db »

well it would be easier to understand if the same bloke hadn't done a glowing review of the band 'live' a few years earlier.
batman

Post by batman »

Stratosfear = A classic electornic album. It marks the beginning of the band's evolution away from their uncompromising early 1970s synthesizer experiments toward a recognizably more melodic sound, a trend they would pick up again in 1979's Force Majeure. This album reached No.39 in the UK, in a 4-week chart run.
-IN THE SPACE AND STILL FARTHER-
(BUZZ LIGHTYEAR)
www.myspace.com/via2754
24db

Post by 24db »

Stratosfear two stars out of five:

"...With an expanding, technology-fed musical syntax filtering through, Stratosfear (1976) was nevertheless something of a lapse in previously sound taste, with increased use of sequenced geometric rhythmic shapes at the expense of textures and it was also the time a young Jean-Michel Jarre was began (sic) to take notes"

Paul Henderson, Q magazine

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... anger.html
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:Stratosfear two stars out of five:

"...With an expanding, technology-fed musical syntax filtering through, Stratosfear (1976) was nevertheless something of a lapse in previously sound taste, with increased use of sequenced geometric rhythmic shapes at the expense of textures and it was also the time a young Jean-Michel Jarre was began (sic) to take notes"

Surely that should be 5 out of 2!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:Stratosfear two stars out of five:

Surely that should be 5 out of 2!
um...how can I put this ;) personally it would get a 4 out of 5 from me :D
akaihead

Post by akaihead »

Remember being a little disappointed after studio releases Rubycon and EF EIMP (I got hooked on that format style - one side / soft start/ seq/ soft finish). Similar position now with the Madcaps release. Prefer the Mason touches on S.
David Fox
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

akaihead wrote:Remember being a little disappointed after studio releases Rubycon and EF EIMP (I got hooked on that format style - one side / soft start/ seq/ soft finish). Similar position now with the Madcaps release. Prefer the Mason touches on S.
Much as I loved the Phaedra/Rubycon approach, I preferred the direction taken by Ricochet/Stratosfear/Encore. I think this was because of the unpredictability of the tracks. I liked the fact, I didn't know where the music was going to take me. Strangely, I still feel like this, when I listen to these albums, despite knowing them very well.
Lucan

Post by Lucan »

It reads like the reviewer didn't have time (or couldn't be arsed) to finish the review, so simply turned in the notes he'd written.
24db

Post by 24db »

Lucan wrote:It reads like the reviewer didn't have time (or couldn't be arsed) to finish the review, so simply turned in the notes he'd written.
sounds like quite a few reviews
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

For everyone who hasn't seen this yet:
Stratosfear Unplugged on Acoustic Guitar

Link is from a different forum, but I think Mr. José Bergeron also deserves a honourable mention here for keeping this true classic alive ...

Enjoy :-)
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Michael66 wrote:For everyone who hasn't seen this yet:

Link is from a different forum, but I think Mr. José Bergeron also deserves a honourable mention here for keeping this true classic alive ...

I did enjoy. Many thanks for the post! :D 8)
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Hobo wrote:
Michael66 wrote:For everyone who hasn't seen this yet:

I did enjoy. Many thanks for the post! :D 8)
Agreed! It's great to see the visuals to this - a fantastic example of first rate transcribing.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Eff me that is outstanding I wish I could even get a not out of my Guitar.
redziller

Post by redziller »

Oh yes - very enjoyable 8)
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game