CF - Raven Soundtrack

razor
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

CF - Raven Soundtrack

Post by razor »

Just very curious what your opinions are on this superb Soundtrack to Raven, as it is rarely talked about anywhere, till now :)

I think it's a real gem of an album, a very solid effort by Christopher Franke, not to mention, very varied album! :)
"You Laugh At Me Because I'm Diffrent, I Laugh At You Because You're All The Same"
24db

Post by 24db »

Sadly 'for me' where Chris'a career nose-dived into ho-hum music. I'll explain, he 'was' going for BIG films and as well as more arthouse stuff... but after reading several interviews I have with him he lost out to bigger names most of time (Hans Zimmer etc) or getting in there too late. So this left Chris to get on with the usual bread and butter films that Hollywood churns out, by the numbers filming sometimes leads to by the numbers music, and whilst it's ok and probably sits quite nicely with the visuals, for me the music doesn't hack it....I tried to like it (and some of his later stuff) but I can't pretend to enjoy it. He's made a nice career out of it, but as far as music that really is going to last or move people I think it falls well short, his 'talent' was being dragged into areas where he obviously had less feeling, just because he was told by the producer he needed to do something in a different style, NOT because they wanted his style.
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

24db wrote:Sadly 'for me' where Chris'a career nose-dived into ho-hum music. I'll explain, he 'was' going for BIG films and as well as more arthouse stuff... but after reading several interviews I have with him he lost out to bigger names most of time (Hans Zimmer etc) or getting in there too late. So this left Chris to get on with the usual bread and butter films that Hollywood churns out, by the numbers filming sometimes leads to by the numbers music, and whilst it's ok and probably sits quite nicely with the visuals, for me the music doesn't hack it....I tried to like it (and some of his later stuff) but I can't pretend to enjoy it. He's made a nice career out of it, but as far as music that really is going to last or move people I think it falls well short, his 'talent' was being dragged into areas where he obviously had less feeling, just because he was told by the producer he needed to do something in a different style, NOT because they wanted his style.
A good point Andy.

I remember buying Universal Soldier a few years back and being hugely disappointed when hearing it. It just seemed totally lifeless without the visuals of the film....

I listened to it a couple of times and tried to like it.... but eventually i sold it again on Ebay....
Be at one with the sequencing.....
24db

Post by 24db »

Schulze wrote:
24db wrote:Sadly 'for me' where Chris'a career nose-dived into ho-hum music. I'll explain, he 'was' going for BIG films and as well as more arthouse stuff... but after reading several interviews I have with him he lost out to bigger names most of time (Hans Zimmer etc) or getting in there too late. So this left Chris to get on with the usual bread and butter films that Hollywood churns out, by the numbers filming sometimes leads to by the numbers music, and whilst it's ok and probably sits quite nicely with the visuals, for me the music doesn't hack it....I tried to like it (and some of his later stuff) but I can't pretend to enjoy it. He's made a nice career out of it, but as far as music that really is going to last or move people I think it falls well short, his 'talent' was being dragged into areas where he obviously had less feeling, just because he was told by the producer he needed to do something in a different style, NOT because they wanted his style.
A good point Andy.

I remember buying Universal Soldier a few years back and being hugely disappointed when hearing it. It just seemed totally lifeless without the visuals of the film....

I listened to it a couple of times and tried to like it.... but eventually i sold it again on Ebay....
Actually I don't think US is that bad. The really sad thing is (and I really need to transcribe that whole CF audio interview) that Chris had such big plans and was going for interesting movies, like Baraka (Ron Fricke?)..btw what the blue blazes happened to the massive 'story of the keys' TV series he was working on? did it ever get released?.

Let's be honest he's not a Hollywood big name composer, just a safe pair of hands (solid, hardworking, on time and within budget), plus studios know they can recoup part of their money by putting out a soundtrack album, largely for Babylon 5 fans I guess these days, as I doubt that only a few people who liked him in TD have continued through his entire careeer (the same goes 'a bit' for Paul Haslinger...but IMHO he's more talented in the whole sphere of writing soundtracks, or at least knowing what Hollywood wants and then trying to edge it towards something slightly different). It's a bit depressing that a guy that left TD partly because of the shear amount of time TD were spending doing music in Hollywood, then does exactly the same thing to such an extent that all his solo music and live plans (yes he had them!) were forgotten and for what? a nice lifestyle in Hollywood? a couple of studios and a bit of sunshine. Having said that good luck to the guy, if that's the area of music he thinks is the 'cutting edge', 'he' thought TD had lost when 'he' was with them. I'm sure he loves what he does and get's some interest out of it. Sadly Chris's music has lost me long ago, and like some grumpy 1975 luddite all I'm left with are the happy memories of what was.

just my opinion though, and if other people love allthis stuff then that's good. it's music, it either clicks with you or it doesn't

The beginning of that CF audio interview (if and when I have time I'll write out the whole thing later in the year. Edgar's interview with Lou Gentile is taking priority at the moment):

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... ecord.html

Chris Franke: "...if you do a studio career without solo albums you can be somehow treated like a slave (laughs) that’s maybe a hard word, but if you have a second career, you are a guest in film you are composing and people are very different.."
jacob

Re: CF - Raven Soundtrack

Post by jacob »

razor wrote:Just very curious what your opinions are on this superb Soundtrack to Raven, as it is rarely talked about anywhere, till now :)

I think it's a real gem of an album, a very solid effort by Christopher Franke, not to mention, very varied album! :)
As you're from Sweden, why not read my review ;)
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/#post243
Jacob's Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Its quite a good album, I wouldn`t rate it as one of his best but I do enjoy it. I would love to see some of the show it came from as it looks quite interesting(well to me it does anyway ;)
jacob

Post by jacob »

cantosis wrote:Its quite a good album, I wouldn`t rate it as one of his best but I do enjoy it. I would love to see some of the show it came from as it looks quite interesting(well to me it does anyway ;)
Stylistically it leans towards 220 Volt, which is not bad. I even find the songs very catchy.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

jacob wrote:
cantosis wrote:Its quite a good album, I wouldn`t rate it as one of his best but I do enjoy it. I would love to see some of the show it came from as it looks quite interesting(well to me it does anyway ;)
Stylistically it leans towards 220 Volt, which is not bad. I even find the songs very catchy.
yeh I would give it maybe a 6/10.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

I 100% agree with Andy's post :wink:

the I agree with everyone - moog :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
razor

Re: CF - Raven Soundtrack

Post by razor »

jacob wrote:
razor wrote:Just very curious what your opinions are on this superb Soundtrack to Raven, as it is rarely talked about anywhere, till now :)

As you're from Sweden, why not read my review ;)
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/#post243
Nice review there, jacob :)
Very detailed and in-depth.
"You Laugh At Me Because I'm Diffrent, I Laugh At You Because You're All The Same"
timer

Post by timer »

Thought it was awfull
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Does he produce anything of any quality anymore or does he still sit in his ivory tower slagging off Edgar & TD
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
jacob

Post by jacob »

alipaul wrote:Does he produce anything of any quality anymore or does he still sit in his ivory tower slagging off Edgar & TD
I haven't read any slagging off Edgar and TD. Only the opposite.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

More to do with what as been said the past i haven't read anything new lately.

Do you think he's trying to get back in the fold being as TD are now in resurgence ?
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
24db

Post by 24db »

jacob wrote:
alipaul wrote:Does he produce anything of any quality anymore or does he still sit in his ivory tower slagging off Edgar & TD
I haven't read any slagging off Edgar and TD. Only the opposite.
I wonder if claiming that he did more of music than Edgar and Edgar was more of a businessman is a helpful comment about an old colleague?...and this dates from when Chris and Edgar were still in contact.

this from 1994 I think:

Chris Franke"..Tangerine Dream is more like a company than a band in some ways. The problems at that time were just between me - as more of musician - and Edgar - who was more like a manager. Of course, our roles often overlapped, but by percentage, I did more music and he did more of the organizational stuff..."

According to rumour, Chris's contribution to several of TD's later albums is far far less than some fans think and far less than Chris claims. Anyway, let's not change the topic of the thread. I think we all agree that Chris is a talented guy and a good musician, regardless of our taste in music
Last edited by 24db on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.