Science Corner

rattymouse
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by rattymouse »

bigmoog wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
bigmoog wrote:I despair, I rilly do

doesnt anyone want to know stuff about stuff, you know....big bangs, black holes, strangelets, monopoles, innuendos?

effing effers

GRIZZLE

:twisted:

I work only a short way away from Fermi Lab. One of my coworkers left here to go operate their supercollider.

tevatron

its a real shame that Congress pulled the funding from the superdupercollider......they even started digging the tunnel
Congress recently slashed funding for the Tevatron. They had quite a few layoffs there recently. My friend barely survived. Also, if I read right, the Tevatrons days are numbered too.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

rattymouse wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

I work only a short way away from Fermi Lab. One of my coworkers left here to go operate their supercollider.

tevatron

its a real shame that Congress pulled the funding from the superdupercollider......they even started digging the tunnel
Congress recently slashed funding for the Tevatron. They had quite a few layoffs there recently. My friend barely survived. Also, if I read right, the Tevatrons days are numbered too.

very shortsighted, and NASA...NASA.....the international space station...waste of time....the shuttle? retiring in 2010....another waste of time.....where the spirit of adventure...endlessly orbiting earth

where's the vision
...The wise.....are silent.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

As a scientist......

....I have no interst in science at all. I get enough of that at work.

My sons are doing a Mad Science course at school though.
redziller

Post by redziller »

I know where your heart is on this BM and it seems a great shame that we've "done" space now. But I doubt there'd have been a man on the moon without the cold war - after all IIRC the first scientist didn't go up untill Apollo 17.

Big science is too expensive and there are too many other demands not least in social and health care. I don't see it ever changing - people don't care enough and business sees no return. It adds little to national prestige.

Finally, I think as self-expression becomes more and more attractive and esay to achieve with current technology (mainly the web) the attraction to science with its absolutes appears dead, perhaps threatening to kids learning it now as they see little room for "creativity".

Now I'm really down.

:cry:
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

[quote="bigmoog"]I despair, I rilly do

doesnt anyone want to know stuff about stuff, you know....big bangs, black holes, strangelets, monopoles, innuendos?

effing effers

GRIZZLE

ote]

I don't know what you're talking about, but I like stuff!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

redziller wrote:I know where your heart is on this BM and it seems a great shame that we've "done" space now. But I doubt there'd have been a man on the moon without the cold war - after all IIRC the first scientist didn't go up untill Apollo 17.

Big science is too expensive and there are too many other demands not least in social and health care. I don't see it ever changing - people don't care enough and business sees no return. It adds little to national prestige.

Finally, I think as self-expression becomes more and more attractive and esay to achieve with current technology (mainly the web) the attraction to science with its absolutes appears dead, perhaps threatening to kids learning it now as they see little room for "creativity".

Now I'm really down.

Excellent points Peter.....

I well remember watching the moon landing coverage, starting with Apollo 10, then the awesome excitement of Apollo 11.....watching James Burke and Patrick Moore on live TV....a monumental event....NASA lost the plot really, no need to beat the Russians....so hey, lets chuck up skylab zzzzzzzz......build a resusable spaceship....no idea what for....aha.....put up spy satellites....zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....If there was vision and focus, we would have got to mars in the eighties......

Yes, there is turmoil in the world, terrible poverty and disease and economic woes, pollution.global warming....as well as pointless wars over oil...and religion. But, humankind needs to press on with science...or we will return to peasantry.
redziller

Post by redziller »

bigmoog wrote:
redziller wrote:I know where your heart is on this BM and it seems a great shame that we've "done" space now. But I doubt there'd have been a man on the moon without the cold war - after all IIRC the first scientist didn't go up untill Apollo 17.

Now I'm really down.

Excellent points Peter.....

I well remember watching the moon landing coverage, starting with Apollo 10, then the awesome excitement of Apollo 11.....watching James Burke and Patrick Moore on live TV....a monumental event....NASA lost the plot really, no need to beat the Russians....so hey, lets chuck up skylab zzzzzzzz......build a resusable spaceship....no idea what for....aha.....put up spy satellites....zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....If there was vision and focus, we would have got to mars in the eighties......

Yes, there is turmoil in the world, terrible poverty and disease and economic woes, pollution.global warming....as well as pointless wars over oil...and religion. But, humankind needs to press on with science...or we will return to peasantry.
"A return to peasantry" that's quite a chilling phrase.

I wonder if HGW was writing the Time Machine now there'd be 3 races - the Morlocks: the operators and programmers
the Eloi: the managers, the sales and marketing people
and a hybrid, 90% of 'em a hybrid species consuming the magic of new technology with no curiosity

Aahh but James Burke. Heather Cooper did a good spot on radio 4 lately.
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

exciting week ahead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7543089.stm

although the real deal is in October, when collisions will be undertaken

sorry to bore you all with this, but for BM its a really exciting time for Science
timer

Post by timer »

bigmoog wrote:exciting week ahead

sorry to bore you all with this, but for BM its a really exciting time for Science
Its not boring BM - quite interesting in actual fact.

Lot of scepticism over this project in the past couple of weeks, due to what this experiment could do ! personally this is a voyage which could answer a lot of question in the future.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

timer wrote:

Its not boring BM - quite interesting in actual fact.

Lot of scepticism over this project in the past couple of weeks, due to what this experiment could do ! personally this is a voyage which could answer a lot of question in the future.

a lot of the speculation is driven by tabloid journo's angling for a headline....ie, earth will be eaten by a black hole; all life extinguished; Maggie Thatcher returns to power etc.....
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

It's not boring, it's fascinating....er...Captain :wink:
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

If they don't turn the earth into a black hole with the collider, someone somehow is certainly going to use the results of the experiments for building new and deadlier weapons. Do these physicists ever think about why they get the money for their research? For them it's just about satisfying their curiosity without caring about what comes after.
Someone should turn this stupid collider into a racecourse for hamsters. I'm serious. I'm not the least bit curious about what they're going to find out, because it will be bad anyway one way or the other. The less we know about particle physics, the better for the safety of the planet. The human race shows day by day it's not mature enough for handling secrets of this caliber.

It's already worse enough there's a high probability the U.S. will soon be in the hands of religious nutcase Sarah Palin. She's just itching for Armageddon because she thinks it's going to trigger the second coming of her beloved Jeeezus. We really do not need even the possibility of another class of deadly weapons in the hands of anyone at this point in time.

Rant over, feel better now. :)
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

I had the very good fortune to interview James Burke once in the late 1980s. A remarkable and polite man. I loved his Connections series. I recall at the time he was also fascinated with the prospect of artificial intelligence.

Science seems to have been relgated to the back burner of society unfortunately. I've long enjoyed science and I watch quite a lot of science shows on television, even more than some drama series.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Twas in The Radio Times.... so must be very important. :wink:

Kinda hoping that don't create a black hole or new universe but suspect the chances are remote.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

rotwang wrote:I had the very good fortune to interview James Burke once in the late 1980s. A remarkable and polite man. I loved his Connections series. I recall at the time he was also fascinated with the prospect of artificial intelligence.

Science seems to have been relgated to the back burner of society unfortunately. I've long enjoyed science and I watch quite a lot of science shows on television, even more than some drama series.

I have very fond memories of watching James Burke and Patrick Moore 'live' on the BBC moon landings coverage....allways exciting and informative....what really upsets me is the BBC erased most of the tapes of these broadcasts in the mid 70's......lost forever :evil: