Symbolism of the Cover artwork and making people think

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Symbolism of the Cover artwork and making people think

Post by 24db »

I: You often use phrases and mottoes on your covers and you also created a short story "The Coachman Tales" for "Turn Of The Tides". Where do you get this philosophical tendency from, and do you want to maybe publish your stories?

EF: I once studied philosophy on the side for a few years, but that is not really the reason, because what you are given in universities and academies is not the essential point. No, it has to do with the fact that in my life I have always asked myself certain questions, and I believe that all people ask themselves these same questions somehow. Even if they don't admit it, because they think it is embarassing. But I never met anybody who was able to answer the question "Who Are You?". He may say "John Smith!". "Yes, and who is John Smith?" "Well me!" "Yes, but who are you?" You understand? That's the way it goes. It is a simple question nobody can give an answer to. That's what I mean with simple philosophical things, you should never take something for what it seems to be, for how it presents itself. I don't want to publish a book - just a remark on the side - that is something that doesn't interest me.

I: So with your music and a bit of humour you want to encourage people to start tinking?

EF: Yes, I also like to be ironic and I also prefer those writers that output something significant and truly great. When they spit out something really interesting, then just blink with one eye, turn around and say, thanks and so long...

I: In this ironic way you also did the "Tyranny of Beauty" CD. You also wrote a little story for this one, right?

EF: Yes, of course, that was pure irony, about Lagerfeld. But the story came after the CD. That was an idea that nobody understood. The "Tyranny of Beauty" was a comment about the catwalk and all this model business. We even got an invitation and played at a fashion show in L.A. That was the only gala we ever did. (laughs)! We were rolling on the floor with laughter and sent Linda over the catwalk in a wedding gown with her saxophone. That was a totally crazy event. The organizers actually spent a ridiculous amount of cash only to have us play at a fashion show.

I: How long did you play there? One hour?

EF: No way! Thirty Minutes! For thirty minutes, we flew with our full equipment to LA and performed there. We did this to demonstrate the absurdity of such an event and and the absurdity in all things that pass eventually. I believe someone like Claudia Schiffer would not even get a job as a door(wo)man in 10 years from now. This has nothing to do with the fact that as a human being, she may be a very nice person. It is simply the way life goes. And it means that we shouldn't have to make such a big fuzz only because someone is maybe born with two beautyful ears or so.

As an idea for the cover, we actually had planned to use a Barbie doll, but for legal reasons they immediately took that idea out of our computers.

I: So instead you took an egyptian art cover as a hint to this subject?

EF: But almost nobody got it. For example, on almost all TD covers there are so called pictograms, symbolic hints to something, and in the text there are references to things one can find out. There are combinations of numbers, numerology. TD records are full of these.

Some people come and say "I discovered something!". But I have to add: These are always positive hints. Positive in such a way that they encourage in a playful manner to think. We never want to influence anyone, so there are no hidden messages or any of this magic stuff. We have nothing to do with this. But sometimes we don't get a lot of response.
Nero

Post by Nero »

Thank you, Andy for this very informative interview!!
The Egyptians celebrated the cult of beauty....
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

anyone know if a recording exists of the fashion gala TD gig?
...The wise.....are silent.....
timer

Post by timer »

bigmoog wrote:anyone know if a recording exists of the fashion gala TD gig?
Yes !
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

Thanks for the interview Andy....a good read.
"Sydney till I Die"
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

timer wrote:
Yes !

BM leaves TD fanbase for a minute or so to contemplate his incomplete TD collection :oops: :cry:
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

There's an Edgar story about Lagerfeld for "Tyranny of Beauty"? Never heard of it... somebody got a link?
24db wrote:EF: But almost nobody got it. For example, on almost all TD covers there are so called pictograms, symbolic hints to something, and in the text there are references to things one can find out. There are combinations of numbers, numerology. TD records are full of these.
Thinking about bribing Edgar with a parcel of high-grade veggie juice if he points me into the right direction for Hyperborea's "2001" ... :wink: :D
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

I always thought that Hyperborea's cover art was obvious, symbolic yet enigmatic as all the classic TD cover art is....sometimes its best to stare at the cover while listening to the music...then it all makes sense
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

I was reading the books of John C. Lily at that time, and to me the back cover always looked to me like the light beings Lily encountered in his isolation tank experiments ... but the front cover, especially the front cover's bar code and "2001" .. no idea!

I only found out it's not a standard bar code :roll: :wink: - so it's probably meant in a symbolic way.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

for me now, everything about tangerine dream has deep symbolic meaning...the act of choosing which record or cd, the listening, the viewing and contemplation of the cover art, all these things meld to become a hyperreal psychic key into possibilities and dreams, er......or maybe I just love the music :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

nah..it's only music

Btw no need to say thanks at all lads...infact all you need to do it do a google and there's loads of interviews out there, if you care to search that is
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

for me TD are more than just music....far more :)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Yes. It's one of the Tangerine Trees but I can't remember which one. I gave a copy to Milan Polac, he was the guitarist for the show. We had a brief correspondence on the subject. He had nothing but nice things to say about TD and said no expense was spared. Seems he had a good time.
timer

Post by timer »

Chris Monk wrote:
Yes. It's one of the Tangerine Trees but I can't remember which one. I gave a copy to Milan Polac, he was the guitarist for the show. We had a brief correspondence on the subject. He had nothing but nice things to say about TD and said no expense was spared. Seems he had a good time.
Think it's also on one of the digital dreams DVDs ? :?

JPs your man for this type of query though
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

timer wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
Think it's also on one of the digital dreams DVDs ? :?

JPs your man for this type of query though
Yes and yes ;)

I don't have the dvd though.