Deutsche press

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Deutsche press

Post by 24db »

two fairly early articles that mention TD:

Last edited by 24db on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

more German article online later today.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

I really am going to have to learn German when I get some spare time.

.....probably when I retire then. :(
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

Wow that Rolling Stone interview from 1997 is Froese at his most grumpy ever ... almost rude. At least it reads like that. :shock:
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:Wow that Rolling Stone interview from 1997 is Froese at his most grumpy ever ... almost rude. At least it reads like that. :shock:
who's Froese? I thought his name was Edgar ;)

Seriously though if you had to answer some of the most mundane and sometimes just plain stupid questions for over 40 years, then you might get the hump from time to time as well.
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

24db wrote:Seriously though if you had to answer some of the most mundane and sometimes just plain stupid questions for over 40 years, then you might get the hump from time to time as well.
I know what you mean, but Edgar could pass for being Van Morrison's brother here...

RS: "You get admired by the techno kids as a Godfather. Is that flattering?"
EF: "No, it's rather amusing. Blümchen dances on the coffin. And one day they open the coffin, and there's nothing inside."
RS: "How about the label "precursor of trance?""
EF: "Just as little. Firstly precursors and latecomers are only two sides of the same coin. And then preferably Dance rather than Trance."
RS: "And what exactly is that, Dance?"
EF: "Prevention of arteriosclerotic cartilage rigidification."
RS: "Sounds rather vague."
EF: "Correct. You can stop trying to pigeonhole me. [actually he says "You can keep your drawers closed", which is pun on the german saying "jemanden in eine Schublade stecken/to put someone into a drawer" = categorizing so./sth.]
RS: "You'd like that, wouldn't you. The next drawer is labelled "New Age". How does it feel getting elated to guru status by the disciples of esotericism?"
EF: "That's even farther, completely over my head."
RS: "But the New Age charts are not imaginable anymore without Tangerine Dream. Don't you follow that?"
EF: "I don't care."
RS: "Do you listen to New Age?"
EF: "Never. After two massive pieces of cream cake I'd have to puke, and I prefer to keep my carpet clean."
RS: "In what kind of charts would you feel at home then, if not in the New Age charts?"
EF: "The Top Ten of the Billboard Sales Charts wouldn't be half bad."
RS: "In 1997 everywhere the formerly so embarrassing "Krautrock" gets celebrated. What's behind this?"
EF: "I have no idea who came up with the droll idea of unwrapping those mummies again, but I don't like the smell."
RS: "One of those mummies bears your name."
EF: "I neither can nor want to ban other people from gnawing on old bones. It's like this: If business is stagnating, no one takes the bumpy road forward, but they dump the rubbish bin and start to recycle something, anything."
RS: "Doesn't one have to be bloody desperate for relying on Krautrock of all things?"
EF: "Music business is like a blind cow on a big pasture, staring into space, ruminating dutifully."

---

That's roughly the first column of the interview. All grammar-, translation- and spelling errors (c) by me. ;-)
jacob

Post by jacob »

Very appropriate and clever answers to useless 'genre pumping'.
Thanks Andy & Michael! 8)
Jacob's Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
24db

Post by 24db »

lol...brilliant, that's one of the funniest things I've read in years :D
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Thanks for the translation Michael66. I have to say that I'm with Andy and think it's quite funny. I particularly like EF's description of the music business, very apt.
jacob

Post by jacob »

Chris Monk wrote:Thanks for the translation Michael66. I have to say that I'm with Andy and think it's quite funny. I particularly like EF's description of the music business, very apt.
can we have the rest... it's a bit of a cliffhanger! :wink:
Jacob's Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

An amusing an interesting article......thanks to Andy and Micheal for translation 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

Wow sweet! 8)

:!: :arrow:
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

jacob wrote:can we have the rest... it's a bit of a cliffhanger! :wink:
Yes sure ... towards the weekend probably, maybe a bit earlier :)
Nero

Post by Nero »

Compliments, Michael for the good translation! (I can judge this as my mothertongue is German....)!
Edgar is a very interesting interview partner and I think journalists often must be frustrated to understand him....but we fans never get bored by his answers. More please!
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

Nero wrote:Compliments, Michael for the good translation! (I can judge this as my mothertongue is German....)!
Hey thanks Nero, translating Edgar's "baroque" choice of words is quite fun, it's just I'm battling with English grammar and tenses sometimes. :wink: