Looking back at Stratosfear

sparrow
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by sparrow »

TheMan wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
sparrow wrote:Never one of my faves...I like the title track but even on vinyl the album sounds weedy and too quiet compared to any other TD album.

buy a better stereo :P
Or get the Definitive Edition Wax Cylinder release of Stratosfear.
Sparrow awaits cheque from Jok to purchse new Turntable & amp not forgetting speakers and expensive cable.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

sparrow wrote:
TheMan wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
buy a better stereo :P
Or get the Definitive Edition Wax Cylinder release of Stratosfear.
Sparrow awaits cheque from Jok to purchse new Turntable & amp not forgetting speakers and expensive cable.

sorry john, but due to B<M being semi scottish now, I find that funds are very tight :P

JOK mcMoog :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

My first TD album (which undoubtedly biases my opinion just a bit) and will always be one of favorites. And lucky for me, too--if I had first heard Electronic Meditation (or anything from the 90s if my first encounter had been much later), I wouldn't have given this band a second glance.
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

alipaul wrote:Love the angry bee sound on Invisible limits & the haunting harmonica on 3am
Bees? Lots of strange sounds on that one, but I can't think of any that goes "BUZZZ!!"

As excellent as an album it is, I think the title track dominates the album completely. 11/10 for that one!
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

Stratosfear was my very first album by TD, we were in 1981. I was into Jean-Michel Jarre at the time and this band that a mate made me discover sounded pretty different but interesting. I listened to this LP very much at the time. It really started my love for Tangerine Dream, and it stays one of my favourite, my top favourite TD album being "Rubycon".
I love the sound research on "Stratosfear", the fact that it contains some various instruments apart from the synthesizers (harpsichord, harmonica, piano, guitars, bass) ... The sound was really rich. I loved those sequences. It had both the new, more accessible aspect in TD and still their experimental side. They never did anything like this one again... and the same with "Rubycon".
My favourite tracks are "Stratosfear" and "Invisible Limits", but I like the whole album very much still. How short they were in those times. But it contains more ideas than many later releases by the band, in my opinion.

I doubt it very much that is wasn't successful at the time of its release... it must depends on which country, really. That is when TD broke with success in the USA !
I think the sound of the initial CD is terrible - like with almost every other CD version of an LP that Virgin Records issued in the 80's anyway ! - but the remastered version is much better, definitely.
What is a shame is that Virgin never cared to properly copy the initial artwork on the inner sleeves of the gatefold LP's at the time... shame on them. and they always printed the same few liner notes for every release of the old albums which wasn't very interesting at all for any fan exciting ... It's really lame.

As for the title track, I think the reworked version on "Tyranny of Beauty" isn't very good.
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

Stratosfear is a superb album.

Amongst the first few albums I heard samples off when I discovered TD through cdnow.com (now owned by Amazon).

I love the combination of synthesizers and acoustic instruments. A prime example is The Big Sleep In Search Of Hades which is one of my favourite TD melodies, and IMO an underrated track.

Apparently the album was a complete nightmare to record, as many things went wrong in Audio Studios (Berlin). So luckily the band managed to complete the album. The only issue I have is that the sound is quite thin (i.e. compared to Rubycon).

I love how the sequencers varies from subtle delicate notes to thundering bass and there are many beautiful melodies (i.e. Edgar's guitar work on the title track).
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

I have listened to stratosfear so many times I have long ago lost count.

I used to listen exclusively on headphones in thee dark.

the album deserves its status as one of the great TD albums.

many EM groups who try to homage or emulate classic period TD will learn that the music has poetry in:

atmosphere,
themes
ambience, motive, narrative
and spine tingling otherwordly invocation of dreams

best at early morning loud and in total personal silence

:D
dgb1

Post by dgb1 »

Everything about this album just shouts out 'classic' to me.
I love the ARP Pro Soloist synth that was used (Genesis also used it around that period).
My only complaint is that the main track it'self is too short!

David
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

One of my least faves of the Virgin years but I do like the title track and do still play the whole album now & again.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

3am at the border... is such a forboding track. Imagine if it had been the soundtrack to a really good horror film. Of course, it creates its own strong imagery in your mind, just marvelous music.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
Le Combat du Sang

Post by Le Combat du Sang »

Desert_Voyager wrote:3am at the border... is such a forboding track. Imagine if it had been the soundtrack to a really good horror film. Of course, it creates its own strong imagery in your mind, just marvelous music.
The pictures are always better in your head. My only complaint about Stratosfear is that it is too short. I think I have the extensions version on CD somewhere.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Le Combat du Sang wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:3am at the border... is such a forboding track. Imagine if it had been the soundtrack to a really good horror film. Of course, it creates its own strong imagery in your mind, just marvelous music.
The pictures are always better in your head. My only complaint about Stratosfear is that it is too short. I think I have the extensions version on CD somewhere.
I agree with both of you. :D
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

Stratosfear is, and always will be, a timeless masterpiece in the history of EM - and the gatefold LP cover is a piece of art in it's own self - all IMHO of course :arrow:
"The streets are full of admirable craftsmen, but so few practical dreamers" - Man Rey
24db

Post by 24db »

Excellent...and the perfect running time for me
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

24db wrote:Excellent...and the perfect running time for me
Totally agree Andy - 35 mins of pure quality music is so much better than 80 mins of doodeling :wink:
"The streets are full of admirable craftsmen, but so few practical dreamers" - Man Rey