A look back at Encore

Hyperboreauk
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Hyperboreauk »

Took me a while to get into now love this.
exit81

Post by exit81 »

Awesome live album, but it still sounds a bit light when compared to some of the darker stuff they did live a year earlier. Encore needs to be played loud in the dark!! :D
bigdaveh

Post by bigdaveh »

This was the 1st Dream album I listened to at a friends house many years ago in my teen years. :)
The Stoke TDBA Division.
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

bigdaveh wrote:This was the 1st Dream album I listened to at a friends house many years ago in my teen years. :)
It was my first TD album as well David - and still a firm favourite of course :D
bigdaveh

Post by bigdaveh »

bergen-dreamer wrote:
bigdaveh wrote:This was the 1st Dream album I listened to at a friends house many years ago in my teen years. :)
It was my first TD album as well David - and still a firm favourite of course :D
Yes it is 1 of my fav album, love listening to it in the dark. It always goes away with me on holidays for listening. :D
The Stoke TDBA Division.
hansx

Post by hansx »

Also one of my favourits. A great cd from a great tour. This is TD as I like it best.
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

I've always considered this to be a definitive TD album. It's what they were all about. That stage photo on the cover is iconic. I used to show it to people saying, "what do you picture when you think of a typical "rock band" on stage? Couple guitars, drums, a singer, maybe a keyboard. Well look at this!"
redziller

Post by redziller »

It is pretty special.

Hearing some of the tree puts it into a context that allowed me to understand it better in more recent years. The only bit I sometimes skip is the start to monolight - much prefer the minor key cousin on stratosfear. 4 quite different tracks - higlight for me is the 5/8 bass sequence kicking in on side one and the guitar on 3.

The final section alway reminds me strongly of the old World in Action theme - that brings back memories!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4LCieQ7UiM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK3iniTXxjg
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

The TD masterpiece with the most filler. Some REALLY good parts here, but only for a moment before it goes all flat — I'm thinking of Monolight and Coldwater Canyon here. But the former manages to recover later, and Cherokee Lane even dodges that trap altogether, so I do still count it among my 10/10 albums :D

Compared to that stuff, Desert Dream is more of "typical good", but there's never too much of that either.
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

@24db

well, monolight is ok too :D .......... but nothing i hear very often.
time is the fire in which we burn (zoran)
24db

Post by 24db »

krismopompas wrote:@24db

well, monolight is ok too :D .......... but nothing i hear very often.
you've gone wrong ;)

btw I've got to agree, I don't play Encore very often (have I played it the last 2 years??? hmmmm...doubt it), but it's a brilliant swansong for Peter.
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

I've had every TD album from 1973-1988 for a while now (some discs for 22 years), but somehow never owned Encore. Finally found a copy of the original CD. Did not want the remaster as many of the mid 90's reissued Virgin's had Noise Reduction applied, something I never like. Not sure if Encore remaster did or not, but glad I waited as the original sounds excellent.

I still prefer Ricochet but this album could grow on me. Now my Pre 1989 TD collection is complete. Nothing left to look for, not sure if I should be happy or sad?
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Flashpoint wrote:I've had every TD album from 1973-1988 for a while now (some discs for 22 years), but somehow never owned Encore. Finally found a copy of the original CD. Did not want the remaster as many of the mid 90's reissued Virgin's had Noise Reduction applied, something I never like. Not sure if Encore remaster did or not, but glad I waited as the original sounds excellent.

I still prefer Ricochet but this album could grow on me. Now my Pre 1989 TD collection is complete. Nothing left to look for, not sure if I should be happy or sad?
I actually prefer it to Ricochet....

...but then I've always been a little strange. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
Flashpoint wrote:I've had every TD album from 1973-1988 for a while now (some discs for 22 years), but somehow never owned Encore. Finally found a copy of the original CD. Did not want the remaster as many of the mid 90's reissued Virgin's had Noise Reduction applied, something I never like. Not sure if Encore remaster did or not, but glad I waited as the original sounds excellent.

I actually prefer it to Ricochet....

...but then I've always been a little strange. :wink:
that's very strange ;)
24db

Post by 24db »

An extract from 'Currently Playing Rock', ABC FM,
Australia, Feb 15th 1982

DJ: “Since you released as Tangerine Dream, Ricochet and Encore all the music was new and not on any previous records was that deliberate?. I mean in the case of Ricochet it obviously was, but particularly on Encore, was that deliberate?”

Edgar: “I mean Encore was a record we did from our American tour in ’77 and it was a very very nice but on the other hand strange experience, because it does not reflect the actual situation we had on that tour, because the music is quite relaxed, I mean you would say it’s more a reflection of a tour one would do in India or somewhere (laughs) and not in a really materialised country like America. So what we did there is, just to explain it a bit, was to bring people down to zero again you know to make them think a bit about their situation (in which) they live in and from me and once again it’s my ‘personal view’ of the things, America is not the country any longer, and it even wasn’t the country in 1977 where people always think correctly about what they are doing or should be doing”

DJ: “So by providing a record that didn’t reflect actually what went on in the concerts?”

Edgar: “No it did not reflect what when on in the concert, it reflects much more what we tried to say, what we try to get over to them”

DJ: “It’s an interesting idea (slightly taken aback…laughs) it’s quite the opposite of any other live instrumental.

Edgar: “Yeah that’s right”

DJ: “Is that it in itself quite deliberate, you really set out to be the opposite of everything?”

Edgar: “Yeah, that’s it exactly, we try to be all the time. Because we learnt so much and we are still learning some much about building up other forms of realities. That’s what’s the key of our music is all about. Getting people into some other moods, other forms of reality”