Tangerine Dream on BBC 4 TV in October

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:Even Tadream have heard about it ;)

As a member here and also Tadream, I find your comment very list-ist
and forum-ulaic also :D :) :o
:D :D :D
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

24db wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:Even Tadream have heard about it ;)

As a member here and also Tadream, I find your comment very list-ist
and forum-ulaic also :D :) :o
:D :D :D

:P

excellent documentary.....her indoors wants to move back to Germany.... :roll: :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Yawn
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

cantosis wrote:Yawn

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :P
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

A thoroughly enjoyable programme and would have liked to have seen more.

Interesting to see TD cello man Eduard Meyer at the end and Edgar a day or two before the Northeim and Berlin shows.

You certainly can never fault Faust for innovation,that is what i call free-form improvisation 8)

All we need now is a much deserved hour doc on TD :idea: :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

epsilon75 wrote:A thoroughly enjoyable programme and would have liked to have seen more.

Interesting to see TD cello man Eduard Meyer at the end and Edgar a day or two before the Northeim and Berlin shows.

You certainly can never fault Faust for innovation,that is what i call free-form improvisation 8)

All we need now is a much deserved hour doc on TD :idea: :)

agreed...now I am sorting the recording :D
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
GlynRichards wrote:Sorry, but I'm being slow, when it this on?

9pm tonite, BBC 4, iplayer and then repeated.. :P
Even Tadream have heard about it ;)

sadly the fragmentation of thee Fan-base leads to some missing the rare chance to see TD on TV.
Well a Lord-Lucanesque grizzlie there did say "The Love affair is over" :oops: :wink: :wink: :arrow: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
9pm tonite, BBC 4, iplayer and then repeated.. :P
Even Tadream have heard about it ;)

sadly the fragmentation of thee Fan-base leads to some missing the rare chance to see TD on TV.
Well a Lord-Lucanesque grizzlie there did say "The Love affair is over" :oops: :wink: :wink: :arrow: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ah yes, NP: wailing winnie and the naked flame orchestra - halfastar boogie
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

I think the doc was very satisfying and now onwards to a TD special.

Her indoors: " the music doesnt really resonate with me-like it does with you, but I miss Germany in the early 70's..it was radical...se.xy. "

:arrow:
Janus

Post by Janus »

Loved every minute of it. It's all about EM history and its development, and I'm just so happy that even that in my dotage (and as a mature University student) the next generation of artists and producers has this documentation they are watching tonight (been spreading the word :wink: ). Between us all, I can tell you I am aware that this documentary is also now being added to the universities music video library resources for academic purposes. The dream doesn't remain the same.. it simply gets better and better :D 8)
http://heyzradio.com
For Tim - Always in our thoughts and hearts, the dream remains the same
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

The British media once again showed their talent of giving any subject related to Germany a Nazi angle.

Yes. of course the parent-generation of the musicians portrayed had a past in Nazi Germany. And if you ask those musicians questions about the relation of their music to Germany's past, of course they'll courteously give you answers (even in their best English). But it's the kind of questions a producer of such a documentary asks that sets the tone of what the documentary will look like in the end. And that interviewer certainly had an agenda of what kind of spin to the topic he wanted in his documentary.

There is something I understood today about Kraftwerk. Kraftwerk really only got famous, especially in the UK, because they communicated a kind of post-war, tamed Nazi aestethics in the way they portrayed themselves (talking of themselves as "Maschinen-Menschen", "Musik-Arbeiter", the way they looked on their record covers). That's playing exactly towards the expectations of how a German musician should look and behave like in the eyes of the British music press. And Kraftwerk gave their foreign listeners (intentionally or unintentionally) what they wanted: Looking a bit like the psychopaths of the past, this time not dropping bombs, but firing hypnotic machine beats.

Edgar and friends just didn't get the same attention because they looked like commonplace hippies at that time. Nothing pleasantly creepy about those TD guys.
Mac cuber transfer

Post by Mac cuber transfer »

Michael66 wrote:The British media once again showed their talent of giving any subject related to Germany a Nazi angle.

Yes. of course the parent-generation of the musicians portrayed had a past in Nazi Germany. And if you ask those musicians questions about the relation of their music to Germany's past, of course they'll courteously give you answers (even in their best English). But it's the kind of questions a producer of such a documentary asks that sets the tone of what the documentary will look like in the end. And that interviewer certainly had an agenda of what kind of spin to the topic he wanted in his documentary.

There is something I understood today about Kraftwerk. Kraftwerk really only got famous, especially in the UK, because they communicated a kind of post-war, tamed Nazi aestethics in the way they portrayed themselves (talking of themselves as "Maschinen-Menschen", "Musik-Arbeiter", the way they looked on their record covers). That's playing exactly towards the expectations of how a German musician should look and behave like in the eyes of the British music press. And Kraftwerk gave their foreign listeners (intentionally or unintentionally) what they wanted: Looking a bit like the psychopaths of the past, this time not dropping bombs, but firing hypnotic machine beats.

Edgar and friends just didn't get the same attention because they looked like commonplace hippies at that time. Nothing pleasantly creepy about those TD guys.
Michael66

Brilliant and incisive thinking if I may say so, I think your absolutely right.

I've been wondering how Kraftwerk came to be media darlings, whereas TD who have done far, far more are often ignored ,and all I could come up with was they marketed themselves in a very specific way for the dance orientated UK music scene, plus having been relatively unprolific they are easier to quantify for the average jurno. Your argument in terms of expectation of how a german musician ought to sound and look is a much more likely reason for their success.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Michael66 wrote:The British media once again showed their talent of giving any subject related to Germany a Nazi angle.

yes, but I think in this case it was important to frame a context for the tumult of '68 and the commune life in reaction to what had gone before
Janus

Post by Janus »

The first ever EM single I bought as a 60's child and then in the 70's with pocket money for the very first time was Kraftwerk's Autobahn.

I bought it purely and simply,and with hand on heart, because musically for me it was so different and sonically so dynamic from anything else I'd ever heard being pumped through the radio stations on offer at the time.

BBC or otherwise, back then it hit a spiritual chord of sorts for me, and for no for any other reason. I became hooked. It's possible, although from my own musical appreciation and development of music since, there were hidden agendas and propaganda going on in the media, but I'll leave that to the academics out there.

I, like many of my peers (please do feel free to agree or disagree with me on this point TD fans and friends) got into electronic music first and foremost, and then ultimately with the magic of what Tangerine Dream was producing (plus the other pioneers we got to hear in the UK), because it was truly inspirational.. because of what the music "did" to us (and still does) emotionally, and not from any other stand-point.

Sure, we're all totally aware of all of our fathers (past or present), or countries, or whatever, sins of the past may or may not have done throughout history, prior to even us even being born..but we're talking music here. If for no other reason, the majority of people I think get satisfaction out of music because it doesn't involve these inherent sociological and issues to deal with.

My dear late father was a young RAF navigator during the 2nd world war..
with not a bad word or outlook against anyone. I got him hooked in the 70's on Pheadra and Rubycon, and likewise he got me into Oscar Peterson and Count Bassie etc. Media can and will be media in many guises and has its faults we all know... at the end of the day music is just what it should be... music.
http://heyzradio.com
For Tim - Always in our thoughts and hearts, the dream remains the same
24db

Post by 24db »

Nice theory, but utterly wrong...IMHO. People bought the music because it was good AND...more importantly it was POP and had lyrics. However there was a time when they weren't cool...believe me at my college if you said you liked them they would have laughed in your face. They had solid sales, but nothing fantastic. Their real break...and it was a fluke was that when they released Computer World and the record company needed a B side they slapped The Model on it. 99% of the Radio stations then played the Model thinking it was the A side, because it was more Radio friendly. If Kraftwerk had released a single with both cuts from CW then chances are they wouldn't be as well known in the UK. The Nazi symbolism and humour was missed by most of the kids who bought it, WWII was ancient history to them, only known from Dad's Army. ....then and only then did the UK press buy into the whole Kraftwerk are cool thought process. Kraftwerk then went back to the Kling Klang studio and basically went into hybernation, and the myth (and it has to be said a fair bit of nonsense) started to build.

TD didn't become more famous because they aren't pop, write songs and didn't have catchy melodies (by choice)...and you couldn't dance to it!. Neither did they want chart success. Franke is on record saying that if TD had a big hit in the charts it would have killed the group.

Both groups are brilliant, as different or as similar as your ears and brain want them to be.