Which do you prefer?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:19 pm

Rockoon
50%
Turn of the Tides
50%

Total votes: 32

Chris Monk
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Chris Monk »

Plumped for Rockoon but it's a close thing. Very fond of TOTT.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I voted for Rockoon as it is my favourite album of the 90's. I have it on LP, cassette and CD. Jerome was a powerhouse on this one 8)

I also love the title track on Turn of the Tides.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
Erik

Post by Erik »

Desert_Voyager wrote:I voted for Rockoon as it is my favourite album of the 90's. I have it on LP, cassette and CD. Jerome was a powerhouse on this one 8)
he really rocked the house on the albums he played on. his guitar playing on Radio City is incredible every time i hear
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Steve

Post by Steve »

pb2rdf wrote:I like both albums EQUAL
BTW, Why compare two albums ???
I think it's time to stop comparing albums, it has (is) imo no(n)sense.

Only fair discussion is to tell why one likes a piece of music.

Peter.
Just for a bit of fun. It's not obligatory to take part.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

TOTT for me. I like both albums very little alas. It was their nadir for me, but TOTT certainly wins for having a less aggressive attitude and a really excellent version of Pictures at an Exhibition. All IMHO of course ;)
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Erik

Post by Erik »

TOTT had a much more dreamlike and surreal vibe to it
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

I love TOTT, one of my faves.
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

billythefish wrote:TOTT for me. I like both albums very little alas. It was their nadir for me, but TOTT certainly wins for having a less aggressive attitude and a really excellent version of Pictures at an Exhibition. All IMHO of course ;)
Likewise for me too although I've grown to like Rockoon these days. Cant say the same about TOTT.
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

I didn't hesitate much to select Turn of the Tides.
Rockoon, well, isn't bad but I really feel it's a cold album. The sound is metallic and cold. I always wondered why the credits mentioned so much of 12-string guitar because the sound of the supposed guitars is so tampered that it could as well be a synth.

Plus "Turn Of the Tides" has got a variety of styles that I appreciated, and the lead guitar parts are often refreshing.
rigel

Post by rigel »

I thought the production of Turn of the Tides was vastly superior to that of Rockoon. I also agree about the 12-string guitar references, and how it is indeed hard to pick (no pun intended) them out of the music on Rockoon.

Still, compositionally, the earlier album is much stronger -- just my opinion, of course. Although I thought the Dream Mixes treatment of some of the TOTT material was very effective. I recognised Twilight Brigade provided source material for the excellent Mobocaster, for example.

My best tracks on Rockoon: Big City Dwarves, Red Roadster, Touchwood, Lifted Veil, Penguin Reference, Girls on Broadway.

Also, I thought the overall Rockoon style and sound was done to much better effect on 220 Volt Live. Not everyone's favourite, I know, but I thought there were some outstanding pieces on that album. (Sorry to stray off-topic.)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

rigel wrote:I thought the production of Turn of the Tides was vastly superior to that of Rockoon. I also agree about the 12-string guitar references, and how it is indeed hard to pick (no pun intended) them out of the music on Rockoon.

Still, compositionally, the earlier album is much stronger -- just my opinion, of course. Although I thought the Dream Mixes treatment of some of the TOTT material was very effective. I recognised Twilight Brigade provided source material for the excellent Mobocaster, for example.

My best tracks on Rockoon: Big City Dwarves, Red Roadster, Touchwood, Lifted Veil, Penguin Reference, Girls on Broadway.

Also, I thought the overall Rockoon style and sound was done to much better effect on 220 Volt Live. Not everyone's favourite, I know, but I thought there were some outstanding pieces on that album. (Sorry to stray off-topic.)
Can't disagree, totally agree on all of that.

was it the 12 string guitar that was affectionately known as the Harpsichord of Doom in some TD-quarters?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

Chris Monk wrote:was it the 12 string guitar that was affectionately known as the Harpsichord of Doom in some TD-quarters?
My understanding is that that is rather the sound that's all over Melrose Years albums (eg. Berlin Summer Nights is basically solo), but I could be wrong.
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

pb2rdf wrote:I like both albums EQUAL
And all the tunes at both albums.

So I don't vote at all :idea:

BTW, Why compare two albums ???
I think it's time to stop comparing albums, it has (is) imo no(n)sense.

Only fair discussion is to tell why one likes a piece of music.

Peter.
One of the reasons this isn't all done as one big poll is precisely to allow for discussion as well. :) It's surprizing me how tight the poll is going!

Anyway, don't take this too seriously…
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

30 DAZE UP
...The wise.....are silent.....