Rolling Stone: The 50 best German records ever...

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:of course , this proves that polls and lists are utterly useless,pointless and idiotic :D
let's have a poll to prove it...er...or not ;)
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

reminds me of a scene in "High Fidelity":
"What are your influences?" Jack Black: "You wouldnt't know them, mostly German..".

referencing obscure German bands seems to be considered "Uber cool" in certain circles...
...which in turns reminds me of the Kraftwerk-joke in The Big Lebowski, always cracks me up
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

bigmoog wrote:
multivit72 wrote:
bigmoog wrote:fans here and elsewhere could knock together a decent top 50 best german records ever.....

here is a 10 to start

TD: zeit, alpha centauri, atem, phaedra, rubycon
ART: ash ra tempel, join inn, Schwingungen
KS: irrlicht, timewind
Can: tago mago

thats 11 :oops: :D
number 11 is included in the RS list ;)
excellent, what is the top ten in RS?
ok, here are the Top 10:

10: Kraftwerk - Trans Europa Express
9: Kraftwerk - Autobahn
8: Einstürzende Neubauten - 1/2 Mensch (disturbing, but great)
7: Element of Crime - Weißes Papier (one of my favourite bands, great chanson-style music and poetic lyrics)
6: Ideal - Ideal (cool german New Wave with - yes, really - a sense of humour)
5: Trio - Trio (speaking of German humour - the DaDaDa guys...)
4: Ton Steine Scherben - Keine Macht für Niemand (fantastic German Agit-Rock)
3: Neu! - Neu! (still have to hear it, Neu has been on my to-hear-list for a long time)
2: Kraftwerk - Die Mensch-Maschine
1: Fehlfarben - .Monarchie und Alltag (a regular at the number one spot in those kind of listings und not undeservedly so - sort of the German Joy Division and early Cure with very sharp lyrics)

so it's an agreeable selection, rating Trio that high might be a surprise to some and I think Udo Lindenberg should have been in the Top 10.
But exactly because it is kind of a canonic list, leaving out Tangerine Dream is so annoying...
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

No wonder they feel more at home in Austria or the UK
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:of course , this proves that polls and lists are utterly useless,pointless and idiotic :D
The RS list is a poll?

Cf. an actual user-generated Germany top 100 — nope, still not that much TD in there, first one's Bootleg Box Set 1 at #73. Schulze does considerably better, for some reason…
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

it's nto a readers poll - the records were selected by a jury of journalists, musicians, music business members etc.
whiteeagle

Post by whiteeagle »

multivit72 wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
multivit72 wrote: number 11 is included in the RS list ;)
excellent, what is the top ten in RS?
ok, here are the Top 10:

10: Kraftwerk - Trans Europa Express
9: Kraftwerk - Autobahn
8: Einstürzende Neubauten - 1/2 Mensch (disturbing, but great)
7: Element of Crime - Weißes Papier (one of my favourite bands, great chanson-style music and poetic lyrics)
6: Ideal - Ideal (cool german New Wave with - yes, really - a sense of humour)
5: Trio - Trio (speaking of German humour - the DaDaDa guys...)
4: Ton Steine Scherben - Keine Macht für Niemand (fantastic German Agit-Rock)
3: Neu! - Neu! (still have to hear it, Neu has been on my to-hear-list for a long time)
2: Kraftwerk - Die Mensch-Maschine
1: Fehlfarben - .Monarchie und Alltag (a regular at the number one spot in those kind of listings und not undeservedly so - sort of the German Joy Division and early Cure with very sharp lyrics)

so it's an agreeable selection, rating Trio that high might be a surprise to some and I think Udo Lindenberg should have been in the Top 10.
But exactly because it is kind of a canonic list, leaving out Tangerine Dream is so annoying...
"Trio" instead of Tangerine Dream? :shock: :shock:
that was like a kid's song, when I was a kid back then....
.....but what can you do?
journalists like these, always going for the "cool" and the "exclusive" stuff, just to pretend they are clever and they're know better :roll:
yes, it is soooo boring......
Keep on (Tangerine) Dreaming
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

....no surprise there. Some things never change. :roll:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

Since when is that magazine the pariah or the authority on music that doesn't kiss their tush ... besides, TD doesn't provide a nude cover for the magazine to make more money than the band does ... !!!

Get ce-real!

I seriously doubt that Edgar would even have some fun talking to people that only know how to discuss sales and stars! ... and as above, I doubt that Edgar would even pose for a picture for them!

I actually hope that Edgar gave them a finger at one time or another ... if there is a magazine that needs to be taken down a notch, I would say that is one of them ... but don't worry ... people will remember TD and the music 100 years from now and no one will give a damn about the magazine! As Carlos C used to say ... you know what Mexicans do with paper?
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

this is Julian Cope's top 50, which is close to being definitive imho and for 'kraut rock' is a near perfect list of the best of the well known german music (probably well known, outside Germany....in the underground.....).I would add Phaedra, Rubycon..... KS's Timewind...Emtidi's saat, Hölderlins Traum (coz I like them), and add a few other groups records to make a top 60/70/80/100...which would be easy. Its also useful to see that the majority is pre 1980.....and some on the list is an acquired taste......

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/groonrikk ... ulian_cope

:D
whiteeagle

Post by whiteeagle »

bigmoog wrote:this is Julian Cope's top 50, which is close to being definitive imho and for 'kraut rock' is a near perfect list of the best of the well known german music (probably well known, outside Germany....in the underground.....).I would add Phaedra, Rubycon..... KS's Timewind...Emtidi's saat, Hölderlins Traum (coz I like them), and add a few other groups records to make a top 60/70/80/100...which would be easy. Its also useful to see that the majority is pre 1980.....and some on the list is an acquired taste......

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/groonrikk ... ulian_cope

:D
yeah! 'Saat' by Emtidi is an amazing record!
oh my god....so many memories connected with this record :lol:
I won't hide the fact, because of Julian's book I created a nice little Krautrock section in my record collection :wink:
thanks for this post
Keep on (Tangerine) Dreaming
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

Why wasting money to buy this parody of a music magazine anyway ? As far as I could read, journalists in RS have been often pretentious intellectuals who wants to sound "young and rock'n'nroll".
I've long ceased to spend my money on anything else than fanzines and even those can get on my nerves sometimes... even if I write in one of them...
Rolling Stone... just the name makes me sick.
I think I never liked what represents what some people call "rock", actually ! :lol:

I guess there wasn't any Klaus Schulze album either ?
Last edited by Marc M on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

Tropylium wrote:
24db wrote:
The RS list is a poll?

Cf. an actual user-generated Germany top 100 — nope, still not that much TD in there, first one's Bootleg Box Set 1 at #73. Schulze does considerably better, for some reason…
the irony was missed? ;)
24db

Post by 24db »

Marc M wrote:Why wasting money to buy this parody of a music magazine anyway ? As far as I could read, journalists in RS have been often pretentious intellectuals who wants to sound "young and rock'n'nroll".
I've long ceased to spend my money on anything else than fanzines and even those can get on my nerves sometimes... even if I write in one of them...
I think I never liked what represents what some people call "rock", actually ! :lol:

never bought a copy of Rolling Stone in my life...I don't remember it ever being popular in the UK
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

Marc M wrote:Why wasting money to buy this parody of a music magazine anyway ? As far as I could read, journalists in RS have been often pretentious intellectuals who wants to sound "young and rock'n'nroll".

nope...