Ricochet...again

jacob
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by jacob »

Playing Ricochet on LP at the moment. This is imo the best produced album and best group effort from the Baumann/Franke/Froese era.

It's from 1975 ladies and gentlemen!

It's awesome, I can't believe I haven't played it for more than year!
Jacob's Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
24db

Post by 24db »

jacob wrote:Playing Ricochet on LP at the moment. This is imo the best produced album and best group effort from the Baumann/Franke/Froese era.

and complete with the claps!
jacob

Post by jacob »

24db wrote:
jacob wrote:Playing Ricochet on LP at the moment. This is imo the best produced album and best group effort from the Baumann/Franke/Froese era.

Indeed, I once had an Italian pressing of the LP without the clapping (red and green labels with the SIAE stamp), but I gave it to friend I wanted to introduce to this album, I don't think he's ever heard it.
The clapping is intact on the Dream Sequence LP, as well.
24db

Post by 24db »

jacob wrote:
24db wrote:

Indeed, I once had an Italian pressing of the LP without the clapping (red and green labels with the SIAE stamp), but I gave it to friend I wanted to introduce to this album, I don't think he's ever heard it.
it's an intergral part of the music...could you imagine Phaedra without the sound of the kids playing?
Last edited by 24db on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacob

Post by jacob »

24db wrote:
jacob wrote:
24db wrote: and complete with the claps!
it's an intergral part of the music...could you imagine Pheadra without the sound of the kids playing?
I can imagine Mysterious Semblance At The Strand of Nightmares beginning with the sound of the kids playing! :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

jacob wrote:
24db wrote:
jacob wrote: Indeed, I once had an Italian pressing of the LP without the clapping (red and green labels with the SIAE stamp), but I gave it to friend I wanted to introduce to this album, I don't think he's ever heard it.
it's an intergral part of the music...could you imagine Pheadra without the sound of the kids playing?
I can imagine Mysterious Semblance At The Strand of Nightmares beginning with the sound of the kids playing! :wink:
the definitive c.ock up!
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

right, just a minute while I climb on to my pedestal for my pontifications:

OK, im on my soapbox so here goes.

Ricochet is one of my all time favourite TD records, and oh yes, I have many and lots, and its one of the greatest electronic music albums....funny isn't it now that BM seems to make a lot of TD albums the greatest....so what, they are. One of the great things about this LP is its a perfect snapshot of the sound and feel of 70's TD. If we didnt have all the trees n leaves....

I also love the gothic resonance on part two, y'know, that cathedral like soundscape, the majestic sequenzer interplay and enormously eerie soundfield, its awesome music, a titanic LP one must, must own

Oops, just fell off the box
...The wise.....are silent.....
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

A classic album. What's remarkable is how fast they assembled it from the 40 odd hours of tapes. Barely a month after the Croydon gig, the album was in the shops.

I was at the Croydon gig and remember clearly the loud burst of percussive white noise that comes in a few minutes into Part Two.
It was about ten times louder at the gig and made many people jump out of their seats.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Peter Beasley wrote:A classic album. What's remarkable is how fast they assembled it from the 40 odd hours of tapes. Barely a month after the Croydon gig, the album was in the shops.

I was at the Croydon gig and remember clearly the loud burst of percussive white noise that comes in a few minutes into Part Two.
It was about ten times louder at the gig and made many people jump out of their seats.
O how i wish i was there 8) :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Peter Beasley wrote:A classic album. What's remarkable is how fast they assembled it from the 40 odd hours of tapes. Barely a month after the Croydon gig, the album was in the shops.

Wow! Sounds like the 'Wake up!' moments from Logos too.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

epsilon75 wrote:

O how i wish i was there 8) :arrow:
Me too Colin..but back in 1975 I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the show. I was into Abba & ELO.. :oops:
lemonstar

Re: Ricochet...again

Post by lemonstar »

24db wrote:I know it's been done (probably to death) but I justed wanted to start a thread on what I consider to be TD's finest moments (ok, make that one of their finest moments) Ricochet. For me it's the ultimate sequencer album, covering almost everything I found (and still find) amazing about the group. Polyrhythmic sequences, emotional Mellotron and piano, very odd Tron effects, some even weirder melodies, and some nice guitar and drums from messrs Froese and Franke.
My sentiments exactly. The first TD album I ever bought - without doubt the single piece of music that I have played and listened to more times than any other over the lonest period of time (decades!)
24db wrote: I still miss the clapping from the beginning of side two (for some reason this was edited out when Virgin remastered the album on CD....the fools, it adds a perfect atmosphere for the piano intro on part 2)
Unbelieveable! I signed up to the forums and this was the first question on my mind - what exactly is that sound? I was sick to find the mysterious sound had been removed when I bought the CD as I was hoping to get a better listen. I was torn between two ideas 1) it sounded like someone either clapping their hands (or rather dusting their hands together at anacute angle if you can visualise that) or 2)a bank or series of switches being flipped - does anyone actually have the definative answer to the question about what this sound is - I would love to know for sure? Does anyone remember seeing or hearing this mystery sound being made at a concert?
24db

Re: Ricochet...again

Post by 24db »

lemonstar wrote:
24db wrote:I know it's been done (probably to death) but I justed wanted to start a thread on what I consider to be TD's finest moments (ok, make that one of their finest moments) Ricochet. For me it's the ultimate sequencer album, covering almost everything I found (and still find) amazing about the group. Polyrhythmic sequences, emotional Mellotron and piano, very odd Tron effects, some even weirder melodies, and some nice guitar and drums from messrs Froese and Franke.
My sentiments exactly. The first TD album I ever bought - without doubt the single piece of music that I have played and listened to more times than any other over the lonest period of time (decades!)
24db wrote: I still miss the clapping from the beginning of side two (for some reason this was edited out when Virgin remastered the album on CD....the fools, it adds a perfect atmosphere for the piano intro on part 2)
Unbelieveable! I signed up to the forums and this was the first question on my mind - what exactly is that sound? I was sick to find the mysterious sound had been removed when I bought the CD as I was hoping to get a better listen. I was torn between two ideas 1) it sounded like someone either clapping their hands (or rather dusting their hands together at anacute angle if you can visualise that) or 2)a bank or series of switches being flipped - does anyone actually have the definative answer to the question about what this sound is - I would love to know for sure? Does anyone remember seeing or hearing this mystery sound being made at a concert?
no idea, although it was suggested that the sound was a recording of Jerome running.

According to legend (and the odd interview with the band) Ricochet comes from 9 different concert recordings (culled from 42 hours), a few interlinking bits and pieces were added in the studio. Either way it's a brilliant album, and IMHO no other band has ever got near to it...they're just pretenders.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

One of my favorite albums as well, it really shows what a great guitar player Edgar is, I love the distored guitar playing.
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:One of my favorite albums as well, it really shows what a great guitar player Edgar is, I love the distored guitar playing.
C
B-flat
A-flat
G
F
G