15%
Pink Floyd
85%

Total votes: 27

epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

This guy sums up the sampling of TD :D

Tangerine Dream...

Where do you start with the band that note for note, sequence for sequence, have been sampled more than any other band in history (and nearly always without credit).

It all really depends what you want to listen to, the band's music ranges from awful to awesome, they started in the sixties and have recently released an album as diverse from the norm as you can get.

go to 'voices in the net' for the most comprehensive guide of TD music:
http://www.vitn.homepage.t-online.de/index.htm

Their greatest achievements were always in the live performances, mostly improvising as they played, they experimented with all sorts of sounds and styles, they created trance and even punk sounds way before anyone else even thought the names up!.

The 'Tangerine Tree' project was an excellent history of the band's live performances, I might even upload the entire set in MP3 format for download.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

And this guy on the Floyd forum obviously knows his stuff :D

You should have a listen to Rubycon, it is a fantastic album. One of the best ambient electronic albums that I have ever heard
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Following on from recent projects, you'd think I've heard enough of the mighty Rubycon to last me a lifetime, but you know how addictive good things can be.......... :wink:

I think most long lived bands go from awful to awsome several times in their lives. Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield have certainly done this (PF went too up themselves rather than awful, but the swing is the same)
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

DSJR wrote:I think most long lived bands go from awful to awsome several times in their lives. Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield have certainly done this (PF went too up themselves rather than awful, but the swing is the same)
I agree, but taken in considerance that TD/EF have made around 130 albums, I think that his music is more extreme in both ends, however, nothing, and I repeat nothing, has kicked him away from the music scene. He's genuinely a survivor, and as it seems nothing will usurp him into oblivion while he's still THAT good.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Pink Floyd for me. Never really got on with Mike Oldfields stuff. I quite liked Ommadawn but don't have any of his music on CD. Love Floyd. Seen them a few times. They always put on a fairly decent show. Now there's an understatement. :wink:
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

Pink Floyd for me too. I've got many of their albums, was a fan since the beginning of the 80's and saw them in 88 (château de Versailles !)
But I like listening old Mike Oldfield albums sometimes : Tubular Bells, Ommadawn were great !
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Although i like both artists my preference would very much go to Pink Floyd,they have made some totally outstanding albums,with Meddle being one of my all time favorites 8)
Jollyhawker

Post by Jollyhawker »

Would have to be Pink Floyd for me - but Hawkwind are miles better!!!
TEE-HEE! :lol:
"Lives of great men all remind us that we may make our lives sublime and so departing leave behind us footprints in the sands of time"
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

'This guy' wrote:Where do you start with the band that note for note, sequence for sequence, have been sampled more than any other band in history (and nearly always without credit).
That's debatable. Kraftwerk is probably sampled more than TD. TD's music, on the other hand, is often stolen lock, stock, & barrel and used as background music in local TV commercials, documentaries, etc.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:
'This guy' wrote:Where do you start with the band that note for note, sequence for sequence, have been sampled more than any other band in history (and nearly always without credit).
That's debatable. Kraftwerk is probably sampled more than TD. TD's music, on the other hand, is often stolen lock, stock, & barrel and used as background music in local TV commercials, documentaries, etc.
I once did a Google search of "most sampled artist" and found that quite a few people have claimed the title, or had it thrust upon them more likely. Everyone one Bruce Springsteen to David Bowie. Not sure that it adds anything to the debate but I thought I'd mention it.
hansx

Post by hansx »

Of course is PF my favourit. It is one of my alltime favourits. Shame that we never will see them again as a group. Oldfield is also very good, but he has had his best days in the beginning. :)
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

I missed this quote the last time around:
For the average MO fan I'd recomend Stratosfear or Force Majeure.

But I wouldn't recomend anything after 1987 for anyone. Absolutely awful music in my (not so humble opinion). So please don't pick up something like Goblin's Club or Madcap's Flaming Duty. You would get the wrong impression of this group.
Good advice.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:I missed this quote the last time around:
For the average MO fan I'd recomend Stratosfear or Force Majeure.

But I wouldn't recomend anything after 1987 for anyone. Absolutely awful music in my (not so humble opinion). So please don't pick up something like Goblin's Club or Madcap's Flaming Duty. You would get the wrong impression of this group.
Good advice.

thats fair enough, but I wouldnt recommend any MO albums after Incantations (or mebbe amarok....possibly)or any Floyd after Animals.... :D
...The wise.....are silent.....