Hello! New TD fan here...

71 dB
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Hello! New TD fan here...

Post by 71 dB »

Hi! 8)

I'm a 37 years old acoustics engineer from Finland. I have finally "found" Tangerine Dream's wonderful music. I'm into classical music, modern dance music, new age and some pop/soft rock. I heard Tangerine Dream's music maybe 15 years ago but it wasn't until lately I have realised how special the music really is. A month ago I bought Force Majeure and it blew me away! I borrowed again Poland and The Collection from a friend. I also started studying the band online. I was surprised they are still making music! I was amazed by the amount or releases. I learned about the periods (pink, virgin,...) and that the 70's was the most fruitful time for them. I bought Tangram and I love it! Now I have also Encore and Ricochet. I am waiting for Nebulous Dawn Collection to arrive.

I have been buying the albums I have got for a good price. I'm not that rich. I don't know what to do with Rubycon SACD and Pergamon as they are hard to find for reasonable price...

The newer albums seem less interesting musically so I will concentrate on the first 20 years of the band. Generally I hate the music of the 70's but TD made amazing music with ideas a decade or more ahead it's time. Somehow TD's old music sounds the way I remember my childhood. The feelings are so right! :shock:

I have been reading this forums before my account was activated. It's interesting to read old stories by people who have been fans for 30-40 years.
timer

Post by timer »

A warm welcome 71dB, we hope you enjoy yourself here on the forum dedicated to the greatest band there is .

Cheers
8)
24db

Post by 24db »

welcome 71db...blimey they've updated me ;)
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:welcome 71db...blimey they've updated me ;)
Youve just got louder mate ! :lol: :wink:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Welcome 71 db.... here's hoping you enjoy your time here :wink: 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Re: Hello! New TD fan here...

Post by 24db »

71 dB wrote:Hi! 8)

I'm a 37 years old acoustics engineer from Finland. I have finally "found" Tangerine Dream's wonderful music. I'm into classical music, modern dance music, new age and some pop/soft rock. I heard Tangerine Dream's music maybe 15 years ago but it wasn't until lately I have realised how special the music really is. A month ago I bought Force Majeure and it blew me away! I borrowed again Poland and The Collection from a friend. I also started studying the band online. I was surprised they are still making music! I was amazed by the amount or releases. I learned about the periods (pink, virgin,...) and that the 70's was the most fruitful time for them. I bought Tangram and I love it! Now I have also Encore and Ricochet. I am waiting for Nebulous Dawn Collection to arrive.

I have been buying the albums I have got for a good price. I'm not that rich. I don't know what to do with Rubycon SACD and Pergamon as they are hard to find for reasonable price...

The newer albums seem less interesting musically so I will concentrate on the first 20 years of the band. Generally I hate the music of the 70's but TD made amazing music with ideas a decade or more ahead it's time. Somehow TD's old music sounds the way I remember my childhood. The feelings are so right! :shock:

I have been reading this forums before my account was activated. It's interesting to read old stories by people who have been fans for 30-40 years.
I'd say you've picked an almost perfect time (CD wise) to get into the band, as most of the OHR/Virgin and Jive electro era discs can be bought quite cheaply. Make sure you checkout Logos (from 1982), a perfect marriage of talent, technology and time
timer

Post by timer »

71dB - try play.com, for good priced TD cds.
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

Thanks timer, 24db and epsilon75!

71 dB (with capital B) is my "default" nickname and I use it on some other forums too.
24db

Post by 24db »

71 dB wrote:Thanks timer, 24db and epsilon75!

71 dB (with capital B) is my "default" nickname and I use it on some other forums too.
no problem, you're lucky you've got so many great records to checkout...and then, you've got all the live stuff!

I'd recommend...well...everything really, can't say you can go wrong with 1974-1984 (you might have a problem with the vocals on Cyclone, but then again it's some fans favourite album...so who can say?)
Last edited by 24db on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

24db wrote:I'd say you've picked an almost perfect time (CD wise) to get into the band, as most of the OHR/Virgin and Jive electro era discs can be bought quite cheaply. Make sure you checkout Logos (from 1982), a perfect marriage of talent, technology and time
Yes, I think the time is good for collecting TD's older albums on CD.

@ timer: Yes, I bought Tangram, Ricochet and Encore from Play.com. Only 6.49 euros delivered! 8) I will order more next month. My budget for January is used for now.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

71 dB wrote:Thanks timer, 24db and epsilon75!

Good to see you here 71db always keep an eye on play.com they have some great sales throughout the year :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

71 dB wrote:
24db wrote:I'd say you've picked an almost perfect time (CD wise) to get into the band, as most of the OHR/Virgin and Jive electro era discs can be bought quite cheaply. Make sure you checkout Logos (from 1982), a perfect marriage of talent, technology and time
Yes, I think the time is good for collecting TD's older albums on CD.

@ timer: Yes, I bought Tangram, Ricochet and Encore from Play.com. Only 6.49 euros delivered! 8) I will order more next month. My budget for January is used for now.
try Phaedra (TD with the Big Moog for the first time), Rubycon an almost perfect progression from Phaedra, with Cage influenced prepared piano and weird synth and Mellotron effects, White Eage with it's weird PPG sounds, lush analog pads, and complex time signatures, Exit (the real advent of digital synths) and perhaps Underwater Sunlight with it's gorgeous 'truly' emotional melodies and huge drums.
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

24db wrote:no problem, you're lucky you've got so many great records to checkout...and then, you've got all the live stuff!

I'd recommend...well...everything really, can't say you can go wrong with 1974-1984 (you might have a problem with the vocals on Cyclone, but then again it's some fans favourite album...so who can say?)
Yes, lots of material to explore!

I also like the the early albums (I like the strange atmosphere of tracks like Fauni-Gena). I know about the problematics of Cyclone. Makes the album more interesting...

@ 24db: All these albums are on my shortlist and will be purchased in the near future.

@ epsilon75: Yes, Play.com is becoming my favorite place purchasing TD! 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

71 dB wrote:
24db wrote:no problem, you're lucky you've got so many great records to checkout...and then, you've got all the live stuff!

I also like the the early albums (I like the strange atmosphere of tracks like Fauni-Gena). I know about the problematics of Cyclone. Makes the album more interesting...

@ 24db: All these albums are on my shortlist and will be purchased in the near future.

ah Atem, very atmospheric...I'm writing an article about this time...excellent track as well.

Cyclone has some fantastic music on it, there's a stunning bit where the sound goes from a metalic jack hammer to a chord (introducing the main rhythm), plus the Lyricon playing from Steve Jolliffe is masterful (it reminded me a bit of Pete Namlooks's Trautonium playing with Move D on the FAX label)
24db

Post by 24db »

71 dB wrote:

BTW see if you can get the Bootleg Box Vol 1 cheap on eBay, as well!