Chandra

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

71 dB wrote:
tdream4ever wrote:The first 4 tracks still my favorite. After listening 6 times now, Chandra has improved for me. I've said before, I like this album. I like the trippier/ambient side of TD. I listen to alot of the more electro-ambient style music like Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Vidna Obmana, Kit Watkins, Alio Die, etc. So I can relate to Chandra. Looking forward to the release of 2, 3, 4, etc.
Some of the music reminds me of "intelligent techno" artists like Autechre and The Black Dog if anyone here knows them.
Autechre? not sure what backcatalogue you've got from them there mate, I have about 90% I can't hear a second that's remotely like it. Excellent group though
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

24db wrote:
71 dB wrote:Some of the music reminds me of "intelligent techno" artists like Autechre and The Black Dog if anyone here knows them.
Autechre? not sure what backcatalogue you've got from them there mate, I have about 90% I can't hear a second that's remotely like it. Excellent group though
I agree with 71dB. Incunabula and Amber put me in a similar mood than the first half of Chandra, especially tracks 3+4. I'm NOT saying Edgar has copied anything here, just that the structure, sounds and mood subjectively remind me of those early Autechre CDs.
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:
24db wrote:
71 dB wrote:Some of the music reminds me of "intelligent techno" artists like Autechre and The Black Dog if anyone here knows them.
I agree with 71dB. Incunabula and Amber put me in a similar mood than the first half of Chandra, especially tracks 3+4. I'm NOT saying Edgar has copied anything here, just that the structure, sounds and mood subjectively remind me of those early Autechre CDs.
I must have cloth ears then mate :)
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

24db wrote:I must have cloth ears then mate :)
No, just different... you associate something else to the music. That's just as valid as 71dB's or my experience of the music. We all try to find patterns or make comparisions according to how we are wired. :)
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:
24db wrote:I must have cloth ears then mate :)
No, just different... you associate something else to the music. That's just as valid as 71dB's or my experience of the music. We all try to find patterns or make comparisions according to how we are wired. :)
I need a new battery in my 'Conrad Schnitzler' hearing aid (trade mark 1969)
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

24db wrote:Autechre? not sure what backcatalogue you've got from them there mate, I have about 90% I can't hear a second that's remotely like it. Excellent group though
As Michael66 correctly pointed out, I am referring to early Autechre. Chandra also sounds like Orb and Future Sound of London.
24db

Post by 24db »

71 dB wrote:
24db wrote:Autechre? not sure what backcatalogue you've got from them there mate, I have about 90% I can't hear a second that's remotely like it. Excellent group though
As Michael66 correctly pointed out, I am referring to early Autechre. Chandra also sounds like Orb and Future Sound of London.
I'm off to the doctor...I'm deaf ;)
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

Some words about the weaker tracks of Chandra:

Track 6
This one has potential but is a bit dragging. Too much slow musical structures, not enough fast structures. I also feel that there are too many tracks in this one. The track could work better if it was more acoustic. So, make it acoustic guitar, tambourine, the vocoder sound, choral synths and some very futuristic sound effects to match the vocoder message.

Track 9
What doesn't work well with this track in my opinion is the drum loop. Too monotonic and heavy. Taking it away or letting it emerge less frequently would in my opinion make the track better.
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

24db wrote:I'm off to the doctor...I'm deaf ;)
Before you go please understand that I don't say Chandra sounds EXACTLY Autechre. There is no nearly as good sounds. It's just the similarities in the musical structures and musical thinking. So, Chandra is closer to Autechre than anything else I have heard from TD.
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

71 dB wrote:As Michael66 correctly pointed out, I am referring to early Autechre. Chandra also sounds like Orb and Future Sound of London.
You startled me for a moment with that yellow lol ;)
71 dB wrote:[...] I don't say Chandra sounds EXACTLY Autechre. There is no nearly as good sounds. It's just the similarities in the musical structures and musical thinking.
yes ... and both early Autechre and tracks 3+4 from Chandra dip into interesting atmospheres... not the same atmospheres, but they seem akin to each other (to me).
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

Michael66 wrote:You startled me for a moment with that yellow lol ;)
I didn't mean to startle. :wink:
tangmaster

Post by tangmaster »

Notice: Track 5, just listen to the album the Keep and you'll find the track which has been used for this one.
The way a world of dreams is going on!
homeless

Post by homeless »

homeless wrote: I'm spinnin' ... I'm spinnin'
I feel like Kylie Minogue.

Actually, this is pretty good stuff.

I can understand why some guys think there is an incomplete
tune or a drop off in the 'story' somewhere. That's what I thought on the first few listens.
I didn't get that VFART sudden burst of entertainment either....

... but it has that 'summer' quality.

... I feel a reprise coming ..

8)

homeless
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

71 dB wrote:
I don`t get that comparison myself, one of the tracks made me think of Jarre but I don`t get the Orb and FSOL comparisons. but hey we are all different. :D
bergen-dreamer

Post by bergen-dreamer »

cantosis wrote:
71 dB wrote:
I don`t get that comparison myself, one of the tracks made me think of Jarre but I don`t get the Orb and FSOL comparisons. but hey we are all different. :D
Me neither - can't see any comparion with The Orb or FSOL whatsoever :?